Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SloppolS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2019
Hi,

I have the "old" Apple TV HD (A1625). I'm planning to add two Homepod minis as a Stereo pair with 3D Audio and Dolby Atmos Support (in ios15.1) to the Apple TV.
I'm not sure if this is even possible and I'm not sure if there where any downsides to use an Apple TV HD instead of the 4k Version.
The Apple.com documentation only shows the Apple TV 4k.

Does anyone have experience with this setup?

Thanks for helping

SloppolS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2019
Thanks for reply.

Ok, but spatial Audio and Dolby Digital Plus is working with Apple TV HD and Homepod mini?

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Spatial audio requires Atmos and neither the ATVHD or Homepod minis are compatible.
If you’re wanting that sort of support with an ATV & Homepods then you’ll need an ATV4K and x2 original Homepods.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
You’d definitely need an ATV4K, can’t comment on 15.1 but currently the minis are not supported.

E012D5E3-E29C-4CAD-BA3A-204B6C0E4FC7.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: SloppolS

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
The Minis do not support Atmos at all. Never have, never will. You need OG Homepods plus an Apple TV 4K to achieve what you want.

Release notes of audioOS 15.1 RC (final public version will be out next monday), indicates that Spatial Audio/Atmos is only for the original homepod, not the Mini.

61ur8r0wv9u71.jpg

Reactions: -Gonzo-

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
First, the HomePod mini is a SINGLE speaker. They have one speaker and some clever gizmos positioned around this one speaker to simulate different audio types and to direct the sound out in multiple directions. Nevertheless, they are a SINGLE speaker. If you pair two of them together you basically have a 2.1 stereo system. Dolby Atmos requires at least 5.1 stereo system, preferably a 7.1. With two speakers you get at best a simulated attempt to sound somewhat like Dolby Atmos. It will sound like two small speakers can be expected to sound, meh. All the rhetoric and total BS that Apples uses to describe them will never change that. Instead of spending $200 on a pair of HomePod minis, use that money to buy a good pair of wireless headphones or wireless earbuds that are capable of producing Dolby Atmos sound and use them with your ATV HD, assuming it works on that, or ATV 4K (it definitely works on my 2017 model). I pair my Amazon Echo Buds 2nd gen (approximately $100) to my ATV 4K 2017 and the deliver Spatial audio via Apple Music. I haven’t tested them with a movie that has Dolby Atmos yet, so I don’t know if tvOS 15.1 has allowed that feature yet. If you don’t want to go the headphone or earbud route, save up and buy a Dolby Atmos soundbar which start out around $500.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.