Apple Tv HDCP Issue

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Trix10, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Trix10 macrumors member

Hey all, I've had an Apple Tv hooked up to our Samsung tv for about a year and a half now, and its worked perfect every time.

Recently, every time we try to watch anything on Netflix we get an error coming up to do with HDCP (Sorry i can't remember the exact message) And posts on the apple forums are saying we need a new HDMI lead.

I don't understand this, why do i need a new lead? It's worked perfectly all this time, and suddenly this error is coming up. I can watch previews in the itunes store and the 'trailers' section, just nothing on Netflix.

How can i need a new lead, if i can see and watch things from other apps on the Apple Tv?

Hopefully someone can tell me why i would need a new lead, or tell me i'm right and i don't. Either way, help lol.

2. institute macrumors regular

This once happened to me after upgrading the ATV software and I just exchanged the cables between my DVD player and the Apple TV and everything worked fine. I have also changed them back and they both worked again.

If you only have one cable, have you tried unplugging the hdmi cable and then, perhaps, changing ends or hdmi ports on the TV. This might work given my experience.