Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timmys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
I've been experimenting with my Apple TV linked to a Homepod stereo pair using the new cinema audio feature and am having no end of issues with it. Nothing to do with getting Atmos working, just simple stuff!

Issues include (all intermittent but very regular, to the extent that it is unusable);
- Sound from one speaker dropping out
- No response to attempts to change volume using the ATV remote
- When media is paused, the audio stops in one speaker but continues to play in the other for a few seconds. When un-pausing the audio is then sometime out of sync between the two speakers.
- These problems occur in all apps that I have tried (includes; Apple TV+, Netflix, Disney+, iPlayer, Apple Music)

I have tried;
- Restoring Homepods to factory settings and setting it all up from scratch several times.
- Updating to TV OS 14.3 beta
- Swapping Homepods round with other ones I have in the house.

The Apple TV is hardwired to the router (though have also tried it connected via WiFi). The Homepods are connected to my Plume Mesh Wifi and are in the same room as a mesh node. I have no issues with any other wifi connections in this room (or anywhere else in the house).

At my wits end with this am about to throw the bloody things through a window!

Last edited:

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Does the mesh network have a band for 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz? If so, you should make sure the HomePods are on the 5Ghz band. The new home theater feature needs a fast, robust signal to work it's best.

timmys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Yep, the Plume app confirms they are connected "5Ghz, Ch 108, Excellent Signal"

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Hm. What model of Apple TV do you have? HD or 4K? Are the HomePods in a stereo pair?

timmys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Hm. What model of Apple TV do you have? HD or 4K? Are the HomePods in a stereo pair?
Apple TV 4K with original Homepods in stereo pair. All set up as per the Apple documentation to get home theatre audio.

timmys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
I think I have fixed it...

It seems to be interference from the stupid Airplay-like network audio feature of my LG soundbar which is done via a 2.4 Ghz network (and doesn't seem to be able to be turned off - even when the soundbar is in standby!)

Reactions: mallbritton

blees001

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2021
I was having similar issues. It was driving me mad. Stereo pair homepods connected to a 4K AppleTV hardwired via Ethernet. But it would still give me daily issues.
I think I finally worked it out. All devices need to be on 2.4ghz, including your iPhone. Resetting both HomePods was best as I found they would default back to 5ghz wi-if as that’s what my iPhone was connected to when I configured them. Since then all is well. I suspect your issue with the one HomePod loosing sound will be due to the different wi-fi used at set up.

hope it works for you. Good luck

timmys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
Thanks the feedback.

I should probably have updated this thread previously, but the issue did turn out to be interference from the LG soundbar but actually the wireless link between the bar and its subwoofer seems to have been the issue not the WiFi network it creates.

LG confirmed to me that the WiFi network cannot be disabled and that the bar to woofer link is via a 2.4 GHz signal. I believe the woofer link is the culprit as the HomePods seem to work perfectly when the soundbar is off.

Looking now, with the HomePods functioning correctly, both are connected via 5Ghz (Apple TV is hardwired). Phone is also on 5 GHz. Strangely enough the two HomePods are actually connected to different nodes on the mesh network even though they are 6ft apart and there is a node in the room they are in!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.