Apple TV homesharing doesn't buffer fully

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by shyam09, Oct 24, 2013.

1. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

So I've been having this issue, started with the upgrade to the latest Apple TV OS. When selecting a video through Homesharing, the video buffers about 1/8th of the way and stops.

When this happens I usually just watch something else, and surprisingly it would work fine (But it's a hit or miss... sometimes works, sometimes doesn't buffer all the way). My internet connection is not the issue since I have the highest plan in ATT's UVerse Internet.

Could this be because of the OS? I managed to upgrade cleanly the first time and never encountered any problems until recently.

I have noticed that if I fast forward until the point where that buffering would stop (1/8th of the way), the video buffers all the way ....

Am I the only one? Any solutions? Thinking about resetting the ATV

2. lilscoy macrumors member

Same issue!!

Sorry I can't help, but I wanted to post the same issue! I came to see if it was just me!

I just noticed this exact same thing a couple of days ago. Tv shows and movies will stop buffering towards the beginning. I can fast forward past the point and rewind to get it to play. And yeah, it's hit or miss with what files it acts up on. Never had any problems before latest update.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks.

3. westrock2000 macrumors 6502a

You are talking about streaming local content right? Like from an iTunes server running? Are they movies that you purchased from Apple or were they ripped from disc? If they were ripped, were they edited with some type of metadata editor like Subler or MetaX? They have an option called "optimize" that has been know to fix this kind of issue.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1496052

4. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68020

shyam09

yeah, i have iTunes open on my computer. These video files are ripped from disc, but they weren't edited (since I have a Windows desktop), I had to enter it through iTunes.

It might be the ATV update. I'll update the OS to the latest one tomorrow and see if it continues.

5. lilscoy macrumors member

Update maybe fixed.

Cool, I didn't even know there was an update. Thanks for the heads up!
    I applied the update and everything is working again! I tried a bunch of different files and have not had any buffering or streaming issues. Hopefully it sticks. And I hope it fixes your issues.