Apple TV in exercise room?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ks-man, Apr 22, 2009.

1. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking of using an Apple TV in my exercise room simply as an iPod. I have in-ceiling speakers and a TV. I mainly want to be able to watch TV and listen to my ipod/itunes music through the ceiling speakers. The benefit to the AppleTV seems to be that I could control the playlist through the TV rather than having to get up to go over to where an ipod would be docked. With a universal remote I could learn the Apple TV IR codes and then simply control everything from my treadmill.

Does this make sense? Are other people using the Apple TV for this type of solution? Thanks for the help.

2. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

3. Shuttleworth macrumors regular

Could you not use an AirPort Express and Airtunes along with the Remote App on your Touch? It'd be a lot cheaper, you'd still have access to all your music and the iPod wouldn't need docking. If you have a universal remote with you anyway, carrying the Touch instead would be no big problem.

However, the good thing about using an :apple:TV if you do use AirTunes is that other people can listen to different music to you elsewhere in the house through the other AirPorts.

4. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

5. SiliBear macrumors member

KS man, that's exactly how I use one of my Apple TVs currently. Setup in the gym for listening to music mostly through the in-wall speakers.

6. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does the ATV output stereo audio when connected to the TV through HDMI? I'd want to connect it to my TV with HDMI and send analog audio back to an amplifier for my in-ceiling speakers.

Also, is the ATV always powered on? I don't see a power button on it or the remote. Does it go into a sleep mode?