Apple TV in Schools on large WiFi works

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mvalia, Oct 10, 2013.

1. mvalia macrumors newbie

Does anyone use one or multiple Apple TVs in a school? Wonder what your experience was with:

1. Mirroring - mine used to work great, now stutters and disconnects.
    2. Multiple ATVs with content accidentally mirrored from other classes.

2. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

Getting feeds from other classes is a common issue. We have talked about it quite a bit in conferences.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Doesn't the addition of 'Conference Room Mode' in latest aTV firmware release attempt to alleviate this problem?

4. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

You need to password AirPlay on the ATVs.

----------

From what I have read about that mode it is just a restricted access mode that cuts off folks from logging into iTunes etc and shows them the needed info to AirPlay to that Apple TV right from the first screen. Nothing to do with avoiding hijacking etc

5. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

I haven't tried that yet, but the way I understand it it does not help the issue.

----------

That works....sorta. In order to use it, you have to give out the password. Then the password gets given to someone else and then someone else and pretty soon students that are not even in your class have the password.

6. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Conference room mode restricts airplay access to someone in the room who can see the required code. I'm not sure why that doesn't solve your problem, so, maybe I don't understand the problem to begin with.

7. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

How does it know the person is in the room? Does the code change every time automatically or do you have to do it yourself?

You don't work with kids do you? In an adult situation, not a big deal but in a school situation with kids, they will still get the code out to prank.

8. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

There are two password modes on the Apple TV. One has a set password that you have to remember and share. The other puts a PIN number on the screen each time you attempt to use it with Airplay. Each time it is a random number. Exactly what you are looking for. This was available under version 5 (iOS 6) and isn't new with iOS 7.

I first saw it a couple months ago as my boss has an Apple TV connected to a tv in his office and he had it setup that way for testing as we get a lot of instructors interested in using Apple TV. In our case it is a University, so we deal with kids who have already had high school to teach them how to hack all the school's stuff. :)

9. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

Huh...I'll have to look into that. Never seen that function. Thanks.

10. hualon macrumors 6502

This all is academic (no pun intended) unless you've solved or otherwise worked around the Bonjour problem. Are all of your users and ATVs on the same subnet? If not, how did you get around the problem?

11. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

If you are a Cisco network than they have a solution now. Here is a video about it (Webex, can't access from iOS, sorry) https://cisco.webex.com/ciscosales/lsr.php?AT=pb&SP=MC&rID=66724707&rKey=1541a088c4ba4459

I'm not the network guy, just a Systems Administrator, but the Cisco guys said that the network gear actually proxies the bonjour advertisements so they can work across subsets without the broadcasts going all over your network. We have it setup and working in our offices. Our issue now is that they don't have filtering yet (or maybe it just came out) so you would see all the bonjour devices everywhere on our network. We want to filter it down to the building level so that we don't potentially have to choose between hundreds of Apple TV's. Not that we have that many yet, but I can name about 5 off the top of my head and considering a good solution just came out many more will likely get deployed.

Before I think the network guys setup a special wireless vlan for the locations that used them. With a special account to login. But I really just know of that project, not really about it.

12. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk