Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Wait a bit longer, Netflix is coming to the UK towards the end of the year, or the early part of next year (2011).

It'll just be streaming, same as what was launched in Canada today.

I can't wait!

pjac

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Has there been any official announcement from Netflix about the UK market, or is that just optimistic speculation? Would be nice if it is true...

jamied95

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
Has there been any official announcement from Netflix about the UK market, or is that just optimistic speculation? Would be nice if it is true...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a200103/netflix-to-relaunch-in-uk-in-2010.html

Netflix will expand its online movie-rental service to the UK in the latter part of 2010, according to Reuters.

Unlike the service offered Stateside, Netflix will not involve the physical distribution of films but instead stream them online exclusively.

"We are focused on entering one country and seeing how we do," Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said. "Because we are launching in the second half of the year, I don't think we could do a second country this year."

Talking about the failure of a previous attempt to launch a UK service in 2004, Reed added: "The big difference is we were entering with DVDs only [then]. It's streaming only [now]. That's a big difference - no warehouses, no integration with the Royal Mail."

Netflix was established in 1997 and now distributes over 100,000 titles to approximately 10 million subscribers.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
I find it odd that lovefilm never did this model in the uk.

For me, just streaming my itunes content is good enough right now. Airplay and my MLB.tv at bat app will be used a fair bit too.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
I find it odd that lovefilm never did this model in the uk.

For me, just streaming my itunes content is good enough right now. Airplay and my MLB.tv at bat app will be used a fair bit too.

Same... Only if Apple put a bit of effort in, and we get iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD, Demand 5... That would be the Apple TV on Steroids.

pjac

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Thanks for the link. That is encouraging. Of course, that doesn't mean Apple will rush to support Netflix in the UK (or Canada) - they may have to renegotiate things... but fingers crossed.

Same... Only if Apple put a bit of effort in, and we get iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD, Demand 5... That would be the Apple TV on Steroids.
That would be outstanding :D

Even just BBC iPlayer support on the new Apple TV would make it much more tempting (something most UK folk on this forum have already wished for).

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Thanks for the link. That is encouraging. Of course, that doesn't mean Apple will rush to support Netflix in the UK (or Canada) - they may have to renegotiate things... but fingers crossed.

That would be outstanding :D

Even just BBC iPlayer support on the new Apple TV would make it much more tempting (something most UK folk on this forum have already wished for).

I wish this too, however the fact that the last apple TV didn't get support for any makes the chances low...unless this app store comes to be. Don't understand why it doesn't support it

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
I wish this too, however the fact that the last apple TV didn't get support for any makes the chances low...unless this app store comes to be. Don't understand why it doesn't support it

Because Apple is a US corporation, meaning they don't care about anyone outside the US.

If the Apple TV App Store is true, don't be surprised if iPlayer is the first to arrive.

DavoMrMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2005
Because Apple is a US corporation, meaning they don't care about anyone outside the US.

If the Apple TV App Store is true, don't be surprised if iPlayer is the first to arrive.

Totally agree, BBC iPlayer will be one of the first to appear as an App on the new AppleTV. I totally think this will happen, 100%.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
If we get Netflix i might cough up the dough and get one. Im not a big TV person but i like the idea of the films that aren't worth buying on Blu ray but still worth a watch.

shandyman

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland

well just a thought, but with airplay off the iPad working for any video on a site, then could use the iPlayer on the iPad browser and airplay to the Apple TV maybe, could also use TV catchup to stream live freeview too at that matter...

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
well just a thought, but with airplay off the iPad working for any video on a site, then could use the iPlayer on the iPad browser and airplay to the Apple TV maybe, could also use TV catchup to stream live freeview too at that matter...

The stream to the iPlayer/iPhone 4 would look horrible at full res, due to being blown up even further...

shandyman

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
The stream to the iPlayer/iPhone 4 would look horrible at full res, due to being blown up even further...

the iPad version appears to stream at a higher quality than the iPhone stream, not sure if they updated the iPhone stream to cope with the iPhone 4 though, so that could be why the stream on the iPhone 4 might not be great at the moment. also BBC said they're bringing HD to the iPlayer on the iPad soon.

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
the iPad version appears to stream at a higher quality than the iPhone stream, not sure if they updated the iPhone stream to cope with the iPhone 4 though, so that could be why the stream on the iPhone 4 might not be great at the moment. also BBC said they're bringing HD to the iPlayer on the iPad soon.

...Awesome! That is some really good news, thanks for sharing this mate.

shandyman

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
...Awesome! That is some really good news, thanks for sharing this mate.

well the iPad version of the iPlayer site was made for it, so would think that the resolution was upped accordingly, from what i read, it uses the same interface as the PS3 iPlayer app. so by that logic, should look ok streaming via airplay. guess we will have to wait and see though!

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
well the iPad version of the iPlayer site was made for it, so would think that the resolution was upped accordingly, from what i read, it uses the same interface as the PS3 iPlayer app. so by that logic, should look ok streaming via airplay. guess we will have to wait and see though!

Doesn't the PS3 iPlayer use flash though?

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK

shandyman

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I've had a look and yes - the PS3 is on flash whilst the iPad/iPhone have dedicated streams just for them.

I'm almost certain that we will see iPlayer on the tv, be it through some sort of hack, apps or built in by default.

well they both use the same interface and the iPad has a seperate stream to the iPhone.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK

Could work, but in my opinion too much hassle. Would be much easier to stream it directly from the :apple: TV. I wonder if airplay will come to mac OSX too? Personally I very rarely watch videos on my iPhone as the screen is too small so I watch them on my mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.