Apple TV & Ipad

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Bulldog VII, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Bulldog VII macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

Hi all

Got Apple TV & was wondering if I can watch this films on my ipad via it??

I of course know that I can only do this at home!!

Thanks

2. hafr macrumors 68030

Do you mean that you have a film on the iPad that you want to watch on the TV? Then yes.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes.

Any content on your iPad can be streamed to your ATV. the small icon at the bottom left hand corner on your iPads screen when in the film allows you to toggle between iPad and ATV.

4. Bulldog VII thread starter macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

Sorry no, I'm thinking the other way round. I have about 1000 DVD's on my apple TV & was wondering if I can watch them on my ipad in the house??

Currently have manflu & am dying in bed!!

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Then No!

If they are not on your iPad, it won't work the other way I'm afraid.

6. dnelms macrumors regular

dnelms

I just load a few movies at the time from my external drive onto the ipad and watch them when I have to work weekends. Then remove and replace.

7. Roadking macrumors 6502

If you still have the actual DVD's and a mac running at least Snow Leopard, you can purchase an app you may already have called Splashtop.

This will let you view content on your mac on your iPad.

Insert a DVD into your mac and pull up your movie and watch it.

8. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

If you're DVD's reside in your iTunes library as rip's, using something like Handbrake, then yes -- you can stream them to your iPad via Home Sharing.

9. Bulldog VII thread starter macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

My films are all in my itunes library on an extrnel HD linked to my imac, so how would I stream the films to my ipad??

10. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Make sure home sharing is turned on in iTunes on your mac, and enter the same details on your iPad under settings / video.
    Now, when you go into videos on your iPad you should see an option for shared videos - this will show you all the movies on your mac and you can play them on your iPad

11. marc11 macrumors 68000

There are a few ways. Assuming the DVDs are ripped, you can either play them from iTunes and home share your library like said already or, if the format is not comptible to iTunes you can use Plex, load the media server on your PC and then load the client on your iPad. So long as the PC is on you can watch your movies in almost any format at home, on the road, just about anywhere you have a decent internet connectiong on your iPad.

12. Mabeauchamp macrumors newbie

Stream to iPad

If your videos are on your mac and organized in a folder, you can stream all of them to your iPad using a server on your mac (free) and a player app on your iPad (2.99$) called AirVideo. It's really awesome ! Brought all of my old dvds back to life !! If the file format is not compatible with the iPad, it converts it on-the-fly so you can still view it seamlessly. Best purchase I made in a long time ! :)

13. Bulldog VII thread starter macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

Thanks managed to do it OK

I can now go back to bed & suffer with my manflu & watch films!!

14. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple