Apple TV iphone integration

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ppdix, Oct 15, 2018.

1. ppdix macrumors 6502a

ppdix

I have been thinking about why Apple hasn’t integrated iPhone notifications and other features into the Apple TV yet?
    It wlild be amazing to have your iPhone charging somewhere and have notifications pop up on your TV screen with emails and text messages.
    Basically you could even respond to messages just like you do on CarPlay using the remote control for the Apple TV, which already has a microphone. So why not call it TVplay?
    The iPhone remote app already has a way to type on your Apple TV automatically. So why not extend it to do a lot more?
    Services like DIRECTV, already integrate a phone line so you get notified of phone calls on your TV screen. That has been around for years. Why does Apple not take advantage of that? You could easily pick up a phone call using the Apple TV remote as well...
    What are your thoughts on this?

2. dgraham78 macrumors newbie

3. priitv8 macrumors 68040

For me, distractions like this would ruin the movie watching experience.

4. simplynando macrumors 6502

simplynando

I don't think I would like that feature. I wouldn't want all of my notifications showing up on a TV in the living room when watching a movie. Texts, apps, calls, other random crap popping up when watching TV would be annoying and would make it harder to take break from your phone for a while. Not to mention privacy concerns. TVs are usually in common rooms, what if someone were to step out of the room while guests were over and all notifications for messages are showing on the screen? Or someone randomly sending you a message about a particular person while that person is visiting?

I already try to limit all of the sharing between my devices. I don't even really like that someone can just go into the photos app on my Apple TV, turn on the feature with no problem and have access to all of my media. Maybe if Apple were to add a bunch of safeguards and optional security features it would be a nice option, but I'm barely okay with everything as it is. lol

5. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Aside from having all kinds of annoying interruptions and distractions, this is a "feature" that would primarily appeal to people who live alone. I think most people don't feel the need to share every notification with everyone in the house.

Privacy concerns aside, it's the equivalent of having your ringer and alerts turned on in movie theater or restaurant.

6. ppdix thread starter macrumors 6502a

ppdix

I agree with privacy issues but there should be different levels of information that could be displayed. Like, text message previews on a lock screen, for example. If u could customize the level of integration or turn it off with control center, it would be great. or if u live alone... Cheers

Pat