Apple TV, iTunes and an External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sambo110, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

If I wanted to buy an Apple TV and use an external hard drive with iTunes, how would this work? I want all my iTunes music to stay on my Macbook, but to store all video on my external, and stream it to the Apple TV. Is this possible? Thanks!

2. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

yes it's possible. You won't be able to have iTunes automatically manage the file locations though, you'll have to do it yourself.

You'll also need to have the macbook turned on (and iTunes running) when you want to watch video on the macbook.

3. Sambo110 thread starter macrumors 68000

How would I go about adding the movies to iTunes, while they stay on the external drive?

Also, would it work fine with two Macbooks streaming? My sister has one, and she would stream more than I.

4. TopToffee macrumors 6502a

You'd have to uncheck the "keep library organised" in iTunes preferences... then just drag files from the external drive to iTunes.

Should work with two macbooks, yes. Both would need to add the files to their own respective iTunes libraries though.

5. Sambo110 thread starter macrumors 68000

So then when adding music I would need to manually move it to the Music folder?

6. netslacker macrumors 6502

You will use one MacBook / iTunes for storing and streaming movies, music, etc. then stream to Apple TVs, iPhons, iPods and other MacBooks all you want. The process is called Home Sharing and it can be used to stream your library of content to various devices on the same network. You can also have multiple libraries shared on the network (more than one iTunes library) and all your devices can stream from them.

----------

I have this setup, movies on external drive music on MacBook pro. It's a bit tedious to manage if you are adding content not from Apple. For my movies I manually copy them to external drive and then add them to iTunes, making sure to uncheck the box for keeping library organized. Music is less work if it comes from iTunes or even Amazon since these will download to the computer and get added straight to iTunes. So unless you're pulling music from a disc or something you should be ok, just watch where it goes and move it if necessary.

7. Sambo110 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah okay. I'll admit I've never bought music before, but I'm definitely going to start buying more music, though only music I actually know I'll love (and probably not singles).

One last question regarding iTunes 1080P content. Does it look as good as Apple Trailers?