Apple TV Apple TV Jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lwood1, Feb 6, 2012.

1. lwood1 macrumors 6502

Hey guys. I have a first generation AppleTV and I was thinking about jail breaking so I can watch NetFlix. Is there anyway to easily do this? Thanks for your help!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Apple TV 1 doesn't have enough power to playback Netflix. If you do manage to get Silverlight installed on it, you'll get a very jumpy movie.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

4. lwood1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Dang it

----------

Yeah I may just do that.

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Weren't the ATV1s found to just be very cheaply built macs though? Surely if it can playback 720p video it can do netflix just fine...?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They have a 1Ghz Pentium M and 256Mb ram. My Mac Mini with a 1.5Ghz Core Solo used to struggle with Netflix playback, until I upgraded it. The 720p decoding is done by hardware decoding in the GPU.

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Ah there we go then, guess it would make a great little Tiger server though if hooked up to a large hard drive.

OP go for the ATV2, there's a TON of hacks for it to give you everything you want and more, read somewhere a while back iPhone and iPad apps have been made to work on it, so the futures looking bright for the little black box of seemingly endless potential :)

8. lwood1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome! Thanks guys! Does the AT2 work with the original iPad to do AirPlay Mirroring?

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No. Only the iPad 2 and newer work with Airplay screen mirroring to the Apple TV 2.

10. lwood1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I came to the conclusion instead of buying a new Apple TV, why not just get an HDMI cord and plug my computer to my TV... Brilliant!