Apple TV laggy or faulty remote?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bilbo--baggins, Aug 9, 2008.

1. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

My Apple TV works fine sometimes, but often I press buttons on the remote and nothing happens, or I press the button repeatedly and nothing happens and then a while later it catches up with all of the button presses. Sometimes it only responds if I press the button on the remote really hard. It's strange, I'm never quite sure if it's the buttons on the remote not working properly, or the Apple TV being laggy. I suspect it's both, and this makes it hard to know whether just to be patient or to press the button again extra hard.

Anyone else having these sorts of problems? I don't want to replace the remote if that's how they are anyway.

2. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

3. dbwie macrumors 6502

laggy

My AppleTV is laggy when connected with HDMI (handshaking issues?), but appears to be much less laggy when I use component video.

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I haven't tried component, but my AppleTV is not particularly responsive to the remote (half second delay or so, not like the OP described) and is connected via HDMI. I keep hoping Apple will fix this... My other devices, like TiVo, don't have this problem and the AppleTV ought to be at least as capable of hardware.

5. trule macrumors 6502

For me most menus have a 1/2 second delay, however browsing Movies is really bad as the ATV seems to want to show preview pics for each movie...and that has priority over my remote clicks :mad:

Anyway, now I use the remote app in my Touch to control the ATV and I don't really need the (limited functionality) remote anymore.

6. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Depends if you are streaming your content. If everything is on my Apple TV, then it isn't too laggy (well not usually), but if I am streaming content (like all my Music, which isn't stored on my Apple TV) then scrolling through it all can be laggy sometimes.

The menu's aren't very responsive as I'd like - I hope Apple optimises it, so the performance is better.

7. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I'm noticing the same problems to.

Apple TV isn't so smooth, isn't the hardware good enough to handle it?

Come on Apple!