Apple TV Mac sleep settings

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by roland.g, Oct 19, 2010.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have a first generation Apple TV. I know the new one uses either pairing or Home Sharing. With my original Apple TV I set my iMac so that the display will go to sleep but the computer does not, neither does the hard drive, and iTunes is running. This way I can always access content from iTunes on my Apple TV to stream movies, etc.

My question is whether I should adjust my settings. If I tell it to put the computer to sleep as well and to put the hard disks to sleep when possible, does the Apple TV have the ability to wake the iMac/hard drive to access content?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I have the same set-up as you. No my new and old Apple TV are not able to wake up my iMac from sleep.

3. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I don't know about the old Apple TV, I have the new one. I can put my iMac to sleep, and my :apple:TV 2 and Airport Extreme Base Station will wake it when required. You only need to make sure iTunes was running in the background before the Mac goes to sleep.

Read about "Wake on Demand" settings for the Mac here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774

4. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

I'm using Wake for Network Access to wake up my MacPro from my old AppleTV. Works great. However, I had to upgrade my router in a new Airport Extreme (my 6-year old model didn't support this).

5. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Yes, per Apple:
    "This service requires an Apple AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule with firmware 7.4.2 or later installed. To use Wake on Demand wirelessly with a WPA or WPA2 network, the AirPort base station or Time Capsule must be hosting the network."

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

My ATV has been successfully waking my iMac wirelessly for nearly a year now.

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I stand corrected, I just tested this and both my new and old Apple TV successfully woke up my iMac from Sleep (and Hard Drive Sleep).

8. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

How long does it take for the iMac to be woken up and appear on the atv? I just upgraded my 2007 apple extreme to the newest one and I still cannot get my atv 2 to wake up my iMac. It's wierd though because I can use my iPad to wake up the iMac via the remote app. My apple extreme is not hosting the network but I don't think that should matter since my iMac is connected via Ethernet cable.

9. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

How is your AppleTV connected, wireless or wired? If it's wireless, I think you're going to need for the Airport Extreme to host the network. If it's wired, I wouldn't think it would matter.

10. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

I will make the apple extreme router the host when I get home and see if that helps. It's strange though because my ipad can wake the imac just fine. From reading that article, I thought that the apple extreme only needed to be the host when the computer you are trying to wake up is connected wirelessly. The imac is connected via ethernet and the ipad and apple tv is connected via wireless N.

11. AndyC macrumors member

Can the wake on LAn be used on a Windows machine?

I have the new Apple tv connected via wifi to router which is wired to windows 7 pc. I have turned on the wake on lan settings for card but it doesnt wake the pc.

Can it be done?
    Do i need it all to be wired?
    thanks

12. AndyC macrumors member

i have now wired both appletv and windows pc to the router, and the appletv still doesnt wake the windows pc.

It does wake the pc if i remote desktop to the pc from my mac.

anyone have any ideas how i can get appletv to wake the pc?

would it make any difference if i put osx on the pc? its an optiplex 755
    thanks

13. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

From Apple: "With the new Wake on Demand feature in Mac OS X v10.6 and an AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule, you can see and access shared items even if your Mac is asleep. "

You several things here:
    • Mac running Mac OS X v10.6
    • Wake on Demand enabled in settings on said Mac
    • iTunes 10.x running in background on said Mac
    • Apple Airport Base Station or Apple Time Capsule with latest firmware
    • Apple TV

AFAIK It doesn't work with Windows. And to my knowledge, you can't put OS X on a Dell.