Apple TV Max?

How much would you pay for an Apple TV Max?

• Less than $150

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • $150-300

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • $300-450

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • More than $450

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Napalm Doctor

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2015
Canada
Do you think Apple will ever push for the Apple TV to be a proper gaming console alternative?

A lot of Apple TV owners probably own a console as well so why not?

Apple could create an Apple TV Max with improved graphics and buy a game developper in order to have some AAA gaming titles that are exclusives to tvOS. In addition they could sell this version with an Apple Game Controller.

Would you buy it?

If so how much?

Audit13

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
With Apple allowing iTunes on Smart TVs, the days of a standalone media playback device may be coming to an end.

As for gaming, I doubt Apple will get into that field anytime soon. I imagine that the cost of getting into the gaming console business would be huge.

turbineseaplane

macrumors 603
Mar 19, 2008
I really don't think I would trust Apple to truly get into gaming, really invest in it, stick with it over the long term and do all the supportive things needed to grow it.

They aren't even capable of releasing a TV remote that's durable, ergonomic and sensible

(or that has a mute function - pretty handy for all the streaming live TV services these days)

vertical smile

macrumors 601
Sep 23, 2014
I am not sure how long you have been following the ATV rumors, but back in 2014 and 2015 prior to the ATV4 and tvOS launch, there were a bunch of rumors about Apple creating a "console killer" ATV.

It was rumored to have an A-chip with an advanced GPU, what end up being the A9X, which would have put the potential performance of the game in between 7th generation (360, PS3, Wii) and 8th generation (WiiU, Xbox one, PS4) consoles.

Of course, this didn't happen, and the ATV4 launched with an already few generations old A8.

Still, maybe there could have been some hope of making it a decent gaming devices, but soon after the tvOS announcement, Devos found out all of the requirements for tvOS apps, the really small size limit, requiring the use of the Siri Remote to play games.

This just killed off any momentum the ATV had to become a gaming platform.

One of the most disappointing moments for me when it comes to Apple products was when Apple demonstrated the ATV4's gaming with Crossyroads. It could have been a graphics-pushing port of a popular game, but they chose Crossyroads.....

Many of the requirements have been relaxed, and the ATV4K has a powerful A10X, but gaming has gone no where.

turbineseaplane

macrumors 603
Mar 19, 2008
Many of the requirements have been relaxed, and the ATV4K has a powerful A10X, but gaming has gone no where.
Just no chance of going anywhere, in my opinion, without making a great 1st party controller and including it in one of the bundles (gaming bundle).

Or at the very minimum do whatever it would take to "allow" PS4/XB1 bluetooth controllers to work, but a first party bundle would be much better.

The Siri remote isn't even a good TV remote and is an ABYSMAL game controller and the 3rd party options are basically "meh" at best.

Apple just hasn't done even the bare minimum to make ATV gaming take off.

vertical smile

macrumors 601
Sep 23, 2014
3rd party options are basically "meh" at best
I have the SS Nimbus, which I think is a decent controller.

The Siri remote isn't even a good TV remote and is an ABYSMAL game controller and the 3rd party options are basically "meh" at best.
This is true.

I tried playing a few platform games with the Siri Remote, Ducktales Remastered, and some Sonic games, and it was just impossible to play it well with that horribly designed remote.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

cjbryce

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2008
London
Well, I wouldn't;t because Ilm not a gamer at all. But I do think Apple should. An upgraded ATV with great gaming controllers, HomeHub, all that is iTunes, all the TV apps &etc would be a great competitor to the usual consoles. Even if Siri is still a a little bit meh.

Mind you, I'd also like to see Apple grow ATV to be an AV hub with HomePods and a HomePod woofer to go 5.1, 7.1 or full Atmos. It would absolutely need inputs from other sources, even if it was only a couple of HDMIs.

fluamsler

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2016
near Basel, Switzerland
I think Apple and the developers missed the opportunity to add additional value to the tvOS apps. Most of the apps are crap and some haven't been updated in months.
But the Apple TV is good for streaming (AirPlay, Netflix, Youtube, medias from a NAS, etc.)

vertical smile

macrumors 601
Sep 23, 2014
I think Apple and the developers missed the opportunity to add additional value to the tvOS apps.
I agree, but would add that most of this falls on Apple and not the developers.

But the Apple TV is good for streaming (AirPlay, Netflix, Youtube, medias from a NAS, etc.)
I think it is great for streaming.

But, the much cheaper streaming boxes and built-in apps on SmartTVs are not too bad. Actually, once you get into the app, many common apps have a very similar experience between devices.

The Apple TV is an excellent, but overpowered, very expensive streaming box. Other than its streaming, tvOS and the ATV4 launched half-baked, and crippled its chances of becoming something more.

I hope I am wrong.....

Reactions: fluamsler