Apple TV mkv question

ovo6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Does the new Apple TV supports mkv movie files from a usb or for streaming on my network ?

MacUser2525

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Does the new Apple TV supports mkv movie files from a usb or for streaming on my network ?
That is not Apple supported format it is easy to get around since you would require no conversion to get it in .mp4 format/container since it will most likely have h.264 video in there. You can use a command line tool like ffmpeg to simply copy the video and audio to a .mp4 file something like this for a command line.
Code:
ffmpeg -i file.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec copy  file.mp4
Put the resulting .mp4 onto a source the box can access and your good to go. Do believe there are graphical programs that do the same thing if scared of the command line..

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
PLEX are apparently working on an app for the new ATV4, which would use the PLEX media server elsewhere on your local network.

PLEX can play MKV files, no problem at all.

Quirinus

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
So I can't play mkv not even on the usb smh
Downloading stuff to a usb drive to watch on tv, welcome to 2005? :) All joking aside: Infuse will have an app that will play MKV from your local network, or PLEX like someone else already mentioned.

Reactions: Alx9876

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
the MKV bit is the lesser of the problems, you can't play ANYTHING from a USB drive, AppleTV has never supported USB connected media for anything.

Plenty of apps out there to convert and then add to your iTunes library though and home share across to AppleTV. Or the upcoming tvOS apps such as Plex and a networked media server.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
the MKV bit is the lesser of the problems, you can't play ANYTHING from a USB drive, AppleTV has never supported USB connected media for anything.

Plenty of apps out there to convert and then add to your iTunes library though and home share across to AppleTV. Or the upcoming tvOS apps such as Plex and a networked media server.

ihonda

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2009
glad I've read this thread. looks like ill be sticking to WDTV for another year... 2tb plugged into WDTV = a dream.