Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Upcoming Apple TV+ show "Monarch: Legacy of Monsters" is reportedly being shot in 3D format to make the most of the immersive cinematic experience afforded by Apple's Vision Pro headset.

monarch-monsterverse.jpeg

According to ScreenTimes' Sigmund Judge, the live-action Godzilla and Titans TV series that's based on Legendary's Monsterverse franchise has been shooting in a three-dimensional format supported by Apple's newly announced headset, based on conversations with people familiar with its production.

If so, it would be the first confirmed TV+ show to support the 3D video-viewing capabilities of Apple's $3,499 headset. VisionOS, the software that runs on Vision Pro, supports a Cinematic Environment that allows users to experience shows and movies at the frame rate and aspect ratio chosen by the creator. The feature supports spatial audio, and can also make the virtual screen environment feel 100 feet wide.

Apple showed off the technology during last week's WWDC keynote and later to invited members of the press, using clips from James Cameron's Avatar: The Way of Water to demonstrate its additional ability to render even more immersive content using stereoscopic 3D.

Apple announced its order for the Godzilla TV series in January 2022, but has not yet revealed when it will arrive on TV+. The series takes place after the battle between Godzilla and the Titans leveled San Francisco, and will be produced by Legendary Television with co-creator Chris Black serving as executive producer and showrunner. Black is known for his work on "Star Trek: Enterprise" and "Outcast."

Article Link: Apple TV+ 'Monsterverse' Show Filming in 3D for Vision Pro Viewing

Reactions: SFjohn

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
Remember how successful 3D televisions were?
Same thing here.
Disagree. The difference here is that 3D movies don’t require any additional hardware once you’re using the headset. It’s already a 3D monitor.

Watching 3D movies in VR is a much different and more natural experience compared to using 3D glasses in a theater or on a 3D TV.

ttyRazor

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2019
AppleTV+ makes a lot more sense in light of this; they’d need a way to distribute 3D video content for visionOS but instead of trying to convince people to buy or subscribe to something that might be dismissed as a gimmick, establish a traditional streaming TV service first.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Well this is inspiring, sort of.

(actually I had originally but NOT, but got a lot of negatives so I changed it to 'sort of'. I'm just not into monsters, transformers, or super heroes, which makes me dissagrable here, apparently)

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Same thing here.

Yeah, only it’s gone from a pair of plastic glasses to a full on headset completely separating you from the real world complete with fake eyes… it’s DOA this is.

EDIT: Apple may as well have stuck on a pair of googely eyes on the front of their goggles. Would look better then too.

Last edited:

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
Same thing here.
Manufacturers deliberately removed 3D support from many products. Including Hig-End stuff, where it was kind of "remove the entry from the user menu". It worked, they just could have left the option as an option, but they did not want to. So 3D went dead. All hardware could do it, but they do not want it to be done anymore.

Luckily there are some brands - like Xgimi - who still do it, even on their "low level" beamers.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Same thing here.

There's a very big difference though - 3D TVs only offered content over a 50" screen (or whatever), whereas this could offer a truly immersive 360 degree experience... though that in itself wouldn't be without its cinematic challenges, such as how to make sure the viewer wasn't looking in entirely the wrong direction when something critical happens in a movie.

Reactions: jhwalker

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I think the courtside sports experiences will be important. Like one person who used it said - I cannot afford courtside tickets but I can afford a Vision Pro and what the experiment entails. Could be quite amazing.
I don't think this service will cost just the price of the vision pro... I'm sure there will be a pretty hefty subscription price or per game cost.

• Haha
Reactions: wilhoitm

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
AppleTV+ makes a lot more sense in light of this; they’d need a way to distribute 3D video content for visionOS but instead of trying to convince people to buy or subscribe to something that might be dismissed as a gimmick, establish a traditional streaming TV service first.
Yeah so instead of “buying or subscribing” all you have to do is shell out $3,500 for a headset.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
These uniquely immersive cinematic experiences will drive adoption of Apple Vision Pro.
$3,500 x family of 5 = $17,500 to watch 3D movies.

I don't see that happening when I can put together a big screen with 5.x or 7.x speaker home theater set up for a fraction of that where we can all watch together without each person needing their own Vision Pro.

I wonder how long it will take Netflix and others to start charging extra for 3D content. And you'll probably need a currently non-existant subscription plan that offers 5 (or more) simultaneous streams since each Vision Pro headset will be considered 1 streaming device.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.