Apple TV: "More Than a Hobby" - Business Week

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ipedro, Feb 4, 2009.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

via Business Week.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I think to apple its more like a time release kinda thing. They KNOW thats where the market is going, so they have a product out, but consider it a hobby until it finally takes off.

3. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

I think we'll see an tv event @ 1 Infinite Loop soon.

The market for this is getting hot. Netflix/Roku, VuDu, Amazon, TiVo, Hulu.... are all fighting for market share while Apple sits idle. It doesn't make sense. Something big is coming and it's coming this year.

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

The iPod started off as a hobby too. Even Jobs didn't immediately think it was going to be a success. It took years to finally take off.

5. AnthonyCM macrumors regular

If they could integrate the ATV and iPhone to make the iPhone a Wii like controller, playing games through the ATV, it would greatly multiply the number of people willing to lay down the cash for an ATV. Is that even possible? If you can use the iPhone as a remote there's definitely some connectivity there (through the network, anyway). It's just a matter of whether or not the accelerometer can somehow be accessed by the ATV.

6. dmm219 macrumors 6502

Its not the accelerometers of the wii remotes that enable to work as a handy point and click device for a TV...its the IR pointing system. The Iphone, Ipod touch does not have this. An accelerometer alone won't get the job done.

Soon, you will see all tvs, come with wii-like remotes...

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I started a thread several months ago that talked about the AppleTV getting a DVR interface. I've been saying that if the AppleTV can connect to my satellite/cable box and also have DVR functionality, I would by it the second it came out.

Something that would also be awesome in the AppleTV, which I know will never happen, would be a Blu-Ray drive. That would make it the ultimate media center.

8. Grasbak macrumors 6502

exactly - Apple are betting that the internet will be the place to get video. They will be there, ready and waiting to deliver it.

9. Rich1963 macrumors 6502

I've said it before. To make appletv take off like the ipod did, allow it to do the same thing that the ipod and itunes could do. Allow itunes to automatically rip and encode your current DVD collection, putting that media you already own at your fingertips just like your CD collection/itunes/ipod did.

A bonus would be to hook up 4 feeds from your satellite dish into your 'itunes server' and have it stream and record all of your tv shows and catalog them in a seperate sub-heading in itunes and then stream live or recorded tv programming to any appletv in your house. These suckers would fly off of the shelf faster than their korean/chinese/thai manufacturers could assemble them.

10. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

This would require breaking DVD encryption, which is illegal under DMCA in the US. So you'll never see Apple officially support this. Ripping CDs does not require encryption circumvention, so it's allowed.

11. dmm219 macrumors 6502

Note that neither of these are ATV updates. Both would be Itunes updates. I agree...not sure they would do much for the sales of ATVs though.

12. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The tv screen is the next logical battlefield for Apple. Winning it will cement iTunes/Apple's grip on the personal/home media center. That's got to be worth some serious cash.

I agree with this guy that opening up the AppleTV is the way forward for Apple.

Agree that there will be an Apple TV event soon in Cupertino. Apple will soon get that their mission is to allow us to use our media wherever and whenever we want to use it, on whatever device, all done in a way that their network and movie studio vendors can stomach. That last bit is what makes this an extended process in my opinion. If not for the content creators/providers, this all would have unfolded long ago in my opinion, just as it took the music industry years to go from all physical media, to accepting online download sales, to finally removing DRM restrictions.

13. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

Allowing DVD ripped WOULD throw Apple TV into high gear... alas..

I think that's why Apple is banking on downloadable content. Now if they would just either buy or develop a Boxee competitor and slap it in the box I would get one!

14. Rich1963 macrumors 6502

I'm well aware it would involve violating the DMCA as well as basic, established copyright laws, but that could easily be negated with an exemption from the MPAA. And just remember-what drove ipod hardware sales was itunes and the ease with which your already legally purchased content could be transferred to your media player.

I didn't say it would happen tomorrow, but this would make apple the dominate audio and visual media company out there.

As far as the satellite thing goes, just look at how the iphone is being single-handedly credited by analysts for keeping AT&T showing an increase in profit and growth during this economy while the other cellular players are in decline right now. Think if Apple went to Directv and offered them a content partnership like they did with AT&T in order to use the raw feeds from the dishes....

15. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

The only way this would be allow is it it wrapped the ripped and converted DVD into some sore of copy protection warapper, and then there is that matter of it cannabalizing Itunes Movie sales. It's not so Hard to convert DVD's now so where is the issue, plus the new kid in time is Blu ray not DVD.

16. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

It wouldn't be hard for Apple from a coding standpoint to add support for more codecs into the :apple:TV OS - mkv, avi, etc etc - and give them access to the gpu acceleration that the iTunes files have now. That way, it could realistically play 720p files. Maybe more support is coming in the new version of Quicktime? Then Boxee would almost be irrelevant.

Boxee can't play 720p files to a watchable standard right now. It's my single complaint with the software, but I understand because there is no API for the :apple:TV gpu because its closed source.

Then Apple could try to push to get the silly DVD encryption laws looked at so people could rip DVDs they own legally - sort of the same thing Steve did with his public letters about DRM. If it's legal, Apple of course would have an elegant ripping/encoding/metadata fetching solution (though I'm sure people would bi*** about the codecs supported).

I don't think Apple will ever do Boxee style streaming content, because that obviously cannibalizes store sales.

Right now, the :apple:TV is a great, great box - if you are willing to put the work in to get your content on it. It's unfortunate Apple's hands are tied in several ways, otherwise I'm sure getting your content to the thing would be as easy and pretty as it is for an iPod.

17. Rich1963 macrumors 6502

Keep something else in mind too. Apple could easily have itunes rip and encode your DVD and place some content protection back on there, just like purchasing a movie from them. That way Hollywood is satisfied that youj are still going to use these movies only for your personnal use.

And as far as Blu-Ray, the same thing would apply. People wantr to own a movie and do what they want with it. Until Hollywood realizes this, their sales will just continue to decline.

18. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I think it's a hobby because Apple know the hardware isn't there yet. So far even a day 1 ATV can be software upgraded to the newest software and the drivers for the gpu have improved, but I think we're very near the point where a hardware refresh is imminent that will render current units as 2nd tier. An nVidia Ion platform with an Atom would be able to play 1080p sing less power than the current box and I can't see a higher resolution coming into mainstream media for a good 5-10 years so the next gen AppleTV will be supported for a long time. The second thing is hard drive space. There are two solutions : either allow bigger internal drives which would need a SATA interface and maybe room for a 3.5" drive. The other, more backwards compatible way is to get a home media server out together with a server edition of iTunes and allow apps like iPhoto to sync with it too, essentially using the ATV drive as "temporary" storage. The advantage of this direction would be to gain control of the home's media hub and also introduce the idea of Slingbox-esque streaming of media to iphones/ipods.

Apple will already have their non-hobby plans drawn out and once the hardware is in place to support them, we;ll see them shift up to high gear, especially after hearing how hard Steve was with the record labels.

19. Grasbak macrumors 6502

Last time I heard Steve Jobs talk DRM on music v films he said: when people buy CDs, they dont come with protection - so why should downloaded music? He then went on to say that: it is not the case with films - DVDs etc are encrypted, so its a different situation.

20. gvegastiger macrumors regular

While at first hear, providing a way for people to rip their DVDs and then slap some DRM on it sounds good. But how do you guard against people renting a movie and then ripping it with this new iTunes capability? You can't, which is why the studios would never go for it.