Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Oscars means nothing these days and most actors have lost their influence and credibility. Move on, nobody cares except cook :p

Award show viewership may be down but the publicity from an Oscar win, or even nomination, can still help generate significant additional business for a movie.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
I wonder if allowing streaming movies to qualify for Oscars is the "new normal" or will it eventually go back to allowing only theatrical release movies to qualify?

jenelemond

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2022
Good selection!! Very well deserved! But truly the specification as "Apple Original" is not accurate!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I wonder if allowing streaming movies to qualify for Oscars is the "new normal" or will it eventually go back to allowing only theatrical release movies to qualify?

Given how much money is pouring into original streaming content, and the quality shows that have resulted, I think it would be ill-advised for the Academy to turn their back on streaming movies. But the rules still require that films be shown in commercial theaters, with a slight bending of the rules due to the pandemic. The main exception, for the Best Picture category, is for "films which are intended for theatrical release but are initially made available through commercial streaming." Another exception is that films don't need to be shown in Los Angeles theaters (the original requirement), but can instead be shown in the areas around New York City, San Francisco, Chicago, Miami, and/or Atlanta.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Why can’t Apple TV+ be run like Apple Music? Apple doesn’t hand over millions of dollars for music streaming rights.
Basically, Apple Music is run like traditional radio. Apple TV+ is run like traditional TV/movie distribution. Different businesses (even though they're obviously both part of Entertainment), with different traditions and practices.

The music biz works differently than film/TV. For the most part music lives on royalties/performance rights payments from as many sources as possible - lots of small payments = big bucks. The upfront cost of production is much lower, so the revenue needed to recoup production costs is also much smaller - the record label or artist can fund production without a major investment. Once the music has been released it becomes available simultaneously in physical media, radio, streaming services, juke boxes... effectively everywhere it can be played.

Film and TV have a culture of "initial exclusive rights" - distributors (the major studios, TV/cable networks, streaming services, etc.) underwrite the production costs in return for (limited) exclusive exhibition rights in order to draw an audience solely to their particular platform. In many cases, the producers are pitching their shows hat-in-hand until they find a taker, but for some productions, with big names in the credits or warm receptions at Sundance and other festivals, there may be bidding wars to have the rights to exclusive/first exhibition.

However, if you add up the money that Apple pays in royalties/streaming rights for music... oh, it's a whole lot more than the $25 million they paid for CODA. It's just (usually) pay-as-you-go based on actual listening rather than paying in advance as a bet on the size of the audience that will be attracted. However, when Apple Music does present the occasional exclusive (album debuts, the occasional concert/festival), you can bet they're paying something (either cash, promotional value, or a guaranteed minimum payment) for the privilege.
I guess Apple TV+ can take "credit" for CODA, since they paid $25,000,000 for the rights at Sundance 2021.

It's not as though they developed and produced CODA -- they merely picked up the bragging and streaming rights.
Yes, that's how it works in TV and films. For everything you see. Apple didn't invent this, it's been going on for over a century. Even longer, when you include live entertainment (there's a great satire of this in 'Shakespeare in Love' on the printed playbill for Romeo and Juliet, although it's probably an anachronism). The network or distributing studio or theater gets to put their name at the top of the credits, and the names of a panoply of other producers/studios/production companies follow in succession, based on their financial/deal-making power.

That's true whether the network/studio developed the thing from the ground up, or they picked up a show from another major studio (all the TV network programming produced by Sony, for example), or in a deal with an independent producer (like CODA's).

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Finally watched "CODA" the other night. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and will be rooting for it to come home with all three Academy Awards for which it has been nominated. As a hearing-impaired person (although not profoundly deaf) I think the film got a lot of things right and was a start in introducing hearing people to the deaf community, but there were a couple of things which I suspect were done purely for dramatic impact rather than authenticity. The struggle of a CODA (hearing child of deaf adults) appeared to be depicted sensitively, and I suspect has been informative to many hearing people.

To me there was a universality to the overall theme, too, as many young adults and families go through a lot of the issues shown in the film. That this family was deaf was of course important to the storyline and at the heart of it, but at the same time was not the sole focus. The overall scope was broader than that, adding to the appeal for audiences.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I liked CODA as well. The "dilemma of duty to family versus duty to oneself" theme must be relevant so many people.

Out of 120 Oscar nominations, I've seen the movies for 108. CODA may have to duke it out with Power of the Dog for Best Picture, but the Best Picture nominees that I actually most enjoyed watching were West Side Story and Nightmare Alley, with King Richard and Dune not far behind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.