Apple TV Name?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by RooneySC, Oct 18, 2014.

1. RooneySC macrumors newbie

RooneySC

Anyone know why when I try to AirPlay from any of my devices to my Apple TV it adds a (2) to the end of the name?

2. Alrescha macrumors 68020

If your Apple TV thought it saw a different device called "Apple TV", then it would rename itself with the 2. Sometimes, I think, it is possible for it to confuse itself.

I have not seen this happen for a very long time. My solution was to go to the Apple TV menu and make sure that it was named just "Apple TV", and then power off every Apple device I owned (Macs, Airports, Apple TVs, etc.). When I powered everything back up the problem was gone and never came back.

A.

3. RooneySC thread starter macrumors newbie

RooneySC

No dice. I wish I could erase all old device history on my AirPort Extreme. I know that is more than likely the culprit. Something with bonjour or something.

4. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

Yeah..happens on mine..Apple TV has it's name fine...but the iMac stuff sees the name with the (2) on it:(

Nothing else on the network ever had it's name...haven't done any real work to figure it out yet though.

5. RooneySC thread starter macrumors newbie

RooneySC

Well I'm gonna keep digging.....probably because of my OCD. I'll let you guys know if I figure something out.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

A factory reset can be performed on an AirPort by unplugging it, holding the reset button on the back with a paper clip or pen, plugging into power, and holding the button until the front light blinks rapidly. You must then reconfigure it in AirPort Utility.

7. RooneySC thread starter macrumors newbie

RooneySC

I am so not willing to do that. I'd really hate to have to reconfigure my entire network to fix an ATV naming issue. There's gotta be another method. Maybe if I name it something I have never used before that'll fix it. I guess i've never had a "great room" before.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That should work as well. I was just telling you how to reset the AirPort as it made you sound like you wanted to do that. Though, the AirPort does not keep a memory of the clients aside from a DHCP lease record.

9. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem but no Airport..I have a netgear router, and it's survived through that..

10. RooneySC thread starter macrumors newbie

RooneySC

Okay, so I renamed the Apple TV to a random string of letters and when I check the Airplay display option on my Mac, it is that random string of letters followed by (2)....so that theory is out.

----------

Alright, definitive answer here...just figured it out....

My Airport is running simultaneous 2.4ghz and 5ghz Wifi. I have opted to not use separate network names for the different bands, so systems will bounce back and forth between the two as network conditions change. Because of this the ATV is technically on 2 different networks, therefore existing 2 times on my network. When it is on the 5ghz network, it adds the (2) to it. I could technically go Ethernet with it and negate the problem altogether, but now that I know what it is, it's not really a problem anymore. Anyway, just in case anyone was curious, there's the answer.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Is there a setting to lock it onto one network? Alternatively, you could separate the network names.

12. RooneySC thread starter macrumors newbie

RooneySC

No setting for that, but as long as I know why it is doing what it is doing I am just as happy.

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Glad you are content with the answer. I have never seen this issue before.

14. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

My Apple TV is connected by Ethernet, not wireless (I can't even find the wireless settings...is it cuz ethernet is plugged in?). So ...does that confuse your solution?

15. twintin macrumors 6502

Although you don't see your WiFi settings I guess WiFi is still enabled and your ATV is still seen through two networks. Try to unplugg your ethernet cable and see what happens.

16. RooneySC thread starter macrumors newbie

RooneySC

You could also disconnect your Ethernet cable, then go to wifi settings and forget your wifi network, then connect Ethernet again. See if it still does it so we can decide if my answer is wrong or not.

17. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

Disconnecting my cable, and it appears I've never set it up on my wireless network.

Checking, and it's not even been entered into my router's wireless access list.:(