Apple TV NEVER works!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by .Logan, Feb 22, 2015.

1. .Logan macrumors member

Not sure how else to describe it, but Apple TV plays fine for a couple songs, and then cuts out or the song stops altogether. Especially when streaming from iTunes on my MBP, it's no longer in play mode and the button will appear orange until I press play again. Streaming from iPhone has same result.

Have tried everything, resetting the device, network settings, updating it... etc.

I've owned a couple of them, and lived in a few different apartments with different network setups, and the same result.

I really, really want it to work. Any brilliant fixes I'm not thinking of? I'm sure others experience this too.

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Interference from other wifi networks and/or a poor router that can't maintain a solid connection. My guess is that it has nothing to do with the AppleTV at all

3. jdag macrumors 6502a

Have you tried connecting an ethernet cable? Not that I am suggesting you need to go with a wired setup permanently, but at least try it to troubleshoot.

4. Johnlpi macrumors member

5. Mildredop macrumors 68020

I had no end of problems with Apple TV. It got so frustrating I just gave up. I now have Sonos (amazing) and WDTV for my films and Netflix for all the rubbish.

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Two apple TVs and no problems here. I have them both hardwired with gigabit ethernet.

7. gpspad macrumors 6502

8. brentsg macrumors 68030

I have Apple TV's all over the house, on every TV. My family uses them daily, take them on vacation, etc.. Never had a single issue..

The reports of people pulling their hair out with them really baffles me.

9. gpspad macrumors 6502

I have a 2013 macbook pro retina, shutting bluetooth off stops the interference. Problem is I got a macbook for handoff and continuity.

Hoping a future upgrade solves this.

10. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

That article is over a year old. If they haven't fixed it by now, they're not likely to. The article only mentions a/b/g networks. Are you using an n or ac wireless network?

I also recall there's a problem with certain AppleTV gen 3's having a wireless issue? MacRumors article link.