Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strixton

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2017
Strixton
I have films on my iphone and use nPlayer to watch them. I want to watch these on my TV

Question: Do I just need to buy an Appple TV module in order to do this?and if so which model?

My TV is Samsung and I used to be able to mirror the film to the TV but something has changed and can no longer do this.

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
Without knowing your full set up, it sounds like you could AirPlay your movies to theApple TV, which the 2(I think)/3/4/4K models will support

However, the 4 and 4K models have an App Store where you can get Apps like Infuse, Mr MC, Plex, and VLC. You can then stream movies from a NAS or external hard drive connected to a router, or computer (via iTunes or Plex media server). These apps are excellent

strixton

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2017
Strixton
Thanks...its all a bit weird...just up to a couple of weeks ago I had the air play icon for films/tv progs on my iPhone 7, when I touched it it would find my Samsung TV which is on the same wifi network as my phone, but now suddenly it no longer finds my TV and sometimes the air play icon isn't even there. Maybe Apple made some update in 11.0.3 that now forces people to buy Apple TV to stream their videos...anyway have just bought on Ebay as Apple TV MK3...which hopefully will do the trick.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Are you sure you were using AirPlay? I think nPlayer uses another approach to mirror your display to a smart TV, but I haven't used it and therefore don't know for sure.

strixton

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2017
Strixton
Not sure if it was an Airplay icon, but there was something similar which would appear even if I launched videos bought from iTunes in my Videos folder which isn't there now. see nPlayer screenshot...I have contacted the developer but no reply as yet

en1-3.jpg

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Any A/V cable solution will be way cheaper than current crop of apple TVs.
Then again, 2nd hand aTV 3 Gen might be cheaper than apple lighting-to-HDMI adapter.

strixton

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2017
Strixton
Re-booted modem which sorted the issue, now connects to TV again through the screen cast icon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.