Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hi all,

Wife and I just bought our first Apple TV this weekend. Unfortunately, we get no Audio when attempting to watch shows on Netflix. This happened with two shows, Royal Pains and Chuck. We tried multiple episodes of each show, but no audio.

To test, we played a show that I had purchased through iTunes, where the audio worked fine. We tested another show on Netflix, White Collar, and the audio worked there as well.

Has anyone encountered this? Is there anything we can do to resolve?

Thanks in advance!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm not near my AppleTV currently but during the episode press up on the remote so you get the title and episode info. From there you can access an option menu that gives you a couple options for CC and audio I think. See what is selected.

I'll check mine when I get home.

Also holding down and menu on the remote with it pointed at the ATV will reset it. That's always worth a shot.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm not near my AppleTV currently but during the episode press up on the remote so you get the title and episode info. From there you can access an option menu that gives you a couple options for CC and audio I think. See what is selected.

I'll check mine when I get home.

Also holding down and menu on the remote with it pointed at the ATV will reset it. That's always worth a shot.

I tried restarting the ATV, didn't fix the issue. I did press up during the episode and saw a popup, but didn't notice anything to view any sort of option menu. I'll have to check when I'm home from work.

Again, it's not an overall ATV issue, as other programs on Netflix work fine, as does iTunes purchased content. Just certain programs on Netflix, specifically the two I mentioned.

Strange. :eek:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
if you're not using 5.1 speakers, make sure to turn dolby digital off. (somewhere in the main aTV settings, look for audio)

most stuff in itunes has both tracks (stereo and 5.1)

netflix is hit or miss, as to if the shows have dolby or not. (look for the double D logo)

if you try to play dolby without the decoder, you either get nothing or loud static.

or if you've got a decoder but only stereo speakers, you'll hear a lot of the background sounds, but the voices will be very faint, as they are going to the center speaker (which doesn't exist)

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
if you're not using 5.1 speakers, make sure to turn dolby digital off. (somewhere in the main aTV settings, look for audio)

most stuff in itunes has both tracks (stereo and 5.1)

netflix is hit or miss, as to if the shows have dolby or not. (look for the double D logo)

if you try to play dolby without the decoder, you either get nothing or loud static.

or if you've got a decoder but only stereo speakers, you'll hear a lot of the background sounds, but the voices will be very faint, as they are going to the center speaker (which doesn't exist)

This was it. Dolby was set to Auto. I turned it to OFF, and it's been working flawlessly since. Thanks for your help!

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
glad i could help

be glad you didn't get what also can happen, instead of no sound, you get a deafening roar of white noise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.