Apple TV - no HDMI ports left to hook up to

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by slorro, Feb 25, 2011.

1. slorro macrumors newbie

I'm not particularly a gadget geek, but I just purchased an APple TV and want to connect it to my Sony 1080. Problem is, I have no HDMI ports left open on my TV. Is there another way to connect to still get 1080 quality, or should I buy a DVI adapter? I have a Direct TV DVR, a Sony blu ray DVD player, my son's old PS2 (no HDMI port) and some audio (none have HDMI ports).

Help!!

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I'd use this opportunity to purchase a nice audio receiver with 4+ HDMI ports, and use that to do the switching to your TV.

3. slorro thread starter macrumors newbie

so if I buy a switch (and here's where my 52 year old brain starts getting stupid), what do I disconnect from the back of my tv? Should i just disconnect one of the HDMI ports and plug the switch into the tv, and then plug that hdmi cable plus the AppleTV into the switch? And it'll work?

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Multiple input devices plug into your switcher, which you then plug into your TV HDMI input port.

5. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

What he said. You would also want one with a remote, as you will need to activate the correct source in the switch when you want to use it. If you use a Harmony or similar programmable remote to control your home theater stuff, you can program it to operate the switch.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

7. Sean006 macrumors 6502

i bought this from amazon:

Ultra High Performance HDMI Switcher, 3to1 Switch
    by Portta

12.00 works great....i have the atv and my ps3 plugged into it...