Apple TV - No longer in stock ?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by nickhj, Jan 19, 2009.

1. nickhj macrumors newbie

Hey,

my ATV 160Gb busted last week, just flashing white and amber following a reboot (after it crashed and got untouchable it was so hot).

Anyway, took it back to see the Genius at Apple Store and they confirmed it needs swapping (10 months old) but was told they don't carry Apple TV's in stock as there is little demand. This seems mad for a retail store - why have one on show linked to an HDTV in the first place. Surely to get the passing trade you need them in stock ? Of course, unless I was told this so I just get a reconditioned unit instead of them handing me a nice new one.

Anyway will pick up replacement tomorrow and here's hoping the HD on this one keeps lasts more than 10 months.
    :(

2. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Is the store you went to a smaller Apple Store? I would find that hard to believe but maybe they only carry them at the larger locations.

3. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

It might just be there is little demand for the 160GB version. I opted for the 40GB version with the thinking that I would either hack it to enable an external USB drive or replace the internal drive with a 250GB drive. As it turned out, streaming works just fine and is less work than either of those options.

4. nickhj thread starter macrumors newbie

It was the West Quay in Southampton, UK. Its not a massive store, but all the same when I purchased 10 months back the 160Gb Atv's were carried in stock. Actually, with hindsight I really only needed to plump for the 40Gb as I stream most things. I had to limit my sync'd movies as being only the 5 latest as it seemed if I let it auto manage, it would be very jerky on playback - almost like it had filled up its buffer with extra stored local content. This was both wireless and wired.

I do hope they keep pushing the ATV - I really love it and I only realise now how much I am missing it. I see it has really paid for itself as I cancelled my £50 pm cable once I had it installed. I am holding off ordering an extra one for the bedroom to see if it does get an update (or mini hybrid)

5. laidbackliam macrumors 6502

the 40 gig atv is great. i only ever put things on the hard drive when i bring it with me somewhere, such as christmas with the family.

6. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Is it possible to stream and sync with the 40gb Hard drive at the same time, seems like I get the option of Either or.. but not both. Currently I'm streaming all my content.

7. dmm219 macrumors 6502

Yes. I tend to sync all of my HD content while streaming everything else. After you sync your ATV make sure "show only the synced items on my apple tv" is NOT checked. You will now be able to see everything in your itunes library as well as the stuff on your ATV HDD. What I love about the ATV is that its interface is identical whether streaming or sycned. the only way to really tell if you are streaming or not is that you will see the blue time bar loading at the bottom quickly before the video starts...this is the ATV buffering.

8. BrendonSled macrumors newbie

Just get a 40gb,
    I bought a refurbished one for $200 canadian and then bought a 1TB hdd for $150.
    hooked everything up now I have a 1000gb apple tv with boxee and I can not be any happier!