Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackotack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
My dad who lives three time zones away is trying to set up his brand new iMac and Apple TV so that he can stream movies to the TV. I can't go to his house to help and the Apple website troubleshooting is a bit short on details. Wondering if anybody has the one step I am missing here.

The Apple TV shows up on iTunes next to the volume slider. I instructed my dad to click that and change to the Apple TV and then press play on his movie to stream to the TV, but then it switches back to local playback and starts playing on the desktop.

I tried simple troubleshooting over the phone. iTunes Home Sharing is turned on. Apple TV is connected to the wireless network (iTunes movie rentals and trailers works).

At the Apple TV I told my dad to go to 'Computers' but nothing was coming up there. At settings-->Computers there was an option to turn off home sharing.

Do we have to 'pair' the desktop and ATV with a code or whatever?

(late 2012 iMac, ATV I dunno what generation but I bought it new in late 2012)

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
My dad who lives three time zones away is trying to set up his brand new iMac and Apple TV so that he can stream movies to the TV. I can't go to his house to help and the Apple website troubleshooting is a bit short on details. Wondering if anybody has the one step I am missing here.

The Apple TV shows up on iTunes next to the volume slider. I instructed my dad to click that and change to the Apple TV and then press play on his movie to stream to the TV, but then it switches back to local playback and starts playing on the desktop.

I tried simple troubleshooting over the phone. iTunes Home Sharing is turned on. Apple TV is connected to the wireless network (iTunes movie rentals and trailers works).

At the Apple TV I told my dad to go to 'Computers' but nothing was coming up there. At settings-->Computers there was an option to turn off home sharing.

Do we have to 'pair' the desktop and ATV with a code or whatever?

(late 2012 iMac, ATV I dunno what generation but I bought it new in late 2012)

HomeSharing is buggy sometimes. You may just have to turn it off and back on again on either or both the ATV and iMac. I have to do this once in a while myself.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
You can try an app like logmein where you can control your fathers computer from yours

Is free

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
HomeSharing is buggy sometimes. You may just have to turn it off and back on again on either or both the ATV and iMac. I have to do this once in a while myself.

Ditto. Also, try switching to static IPs to help keep iTunes networking functional for more than a week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.