Apple TV on college wifi

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by carjakester, Aug 24, 2014.

1. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I don't know why but my apple tv's airplay will not show up on any of my devices. everything is on the same network, newest software and all of that but I've tried everything i could think of to fix it and haven't had any luck.

Does airplay not work on large networks?

2. mactumors macrumors 6502

Large networks like that usually have "client isolation" so that devices on the network can't see each other. For security. You're not doing anything wrong. You'll have to ask the IT department if there is any way around it and maybe they can set something up so you can AirPlay.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

if you're not seeing tons of shared computers on your computer they probably have you isolated.

if your IT dept doesn't have a "no personal wifi" policy and you have a network jack in your room, you could set up an airport express with your own private network and get around that,

you might be able to set up network sharing on your computer and do the same thing, plug it into the wall, and have your phone and appleTV join that.

------
    and i think i've heard rumors that with iOS 8 comes out it can discover your aTV over bluetooth and they will figure out how to contact each other over wifi.
    so your problems could go away in a couple months.

4. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Your school wifi has probably blocked the port necessary for airplay. It happened in my school as well, reason given is that a whole bunch of ports are closed for security.

If you just want to airplay a presentation in class, you can always invest in your own router, or create an ad-hoc wifi signal from your iPhone and iPad and connect it to your Apple TV (will lag quite a bit though).

Same for air playing shows, but this means you can't tap on the school's network for streaming shows. :(

5. gobigorange macrumors member

Try turning on your Bluetooth. It helps with Apple TV discovery.

(I learned this one today when hooking Apple TVs up in my departments classrooms)

Edit: Just read the post 2 above. With iOS 8, you will be able to connect over Bluetooth, but you can use it to help with discovery as of March 2014.

Edit 2: here's a link to the article
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...les-airplay-over-bluetooth-for-ios-71-devices