Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rustyosaurus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
I brought my Apple TV with me on vacation thinking I could watch movies and Netflix but its not working right. All I see is the screen saver but the remote app on my iPhone wont see it. I didn't bring my real remote.

Will this work or do I have to use it on my home network only?

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Really? You can't even access Netflix?

The problem isn't accessing Netflix. Its because you need your iPhone and :apple:TV on the same wifi network so they can connect, which is pretty much impossible to do because you can't put the :apple:TV on wifi without the actual remote. The only way would be if you connected the :apple:TV to ethernet and the iPhone on that same wifi network that its on.

wilhub

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2009
Texas
The problem isn't accessing Netflix. Its because you need your iPhone and :apple:TV on the same wifi network so they can connect, which is pretty much impossible to do because you can't put the :apple:TV on wifi without the actual remote. The only way would be if you connected the :apple:TV to ethernet and the iPhone on that same wifi network that its on.

If your at a hotel you will probably not be able to get pass the hotel log in screen where you have to agree to abide by their policies. The last hotel I was at made you accept their policy through the ethernet cable.

I read in this forum that you can connect to a Macbook. Something about creating a wifi network from your Macbook. I guess you would plug your Macbook into the hotel's ethernet.

You might try the Apple 30-pin Digital AV Adapter on your iPad or iPhone. I use this with my iPad to watch movies that I purchased from iTunes.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD098ZM/A/apple-digital-av-adapter?fnode=3a

Good Luck

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
If your at a hotel you will probably not be able to get pass the hotel log in screen where you have to agree to abide by their policies. The last hotel I was at made you accept their policy through the ethernet cable.

I read in this forum that you can connect to a Macbook. Something about creating a wifi network from your Macbook. I guess you would plug your Macbook into the hotel's ethernet.

You might try the Apple 30-pin Digital AV Adapter on your iPad or iPhone. I use this with my iPad to watch movies that I purchased from iTunes.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD098ZM/A/apple-digital-av-adapter?fnode=3a

Good Luck

Yeah but even if he/she made te network with the MacBook he/she wouldn't be able to connect to it on the :apple:TV because he/she doesn't have the original remote with him/her.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Hold up...

Quick question...

How did you think the remote app on your iPhone connected with the AppleTV?

rustyosaurus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
I think the only way to set up wifi is to use the actual remote. I tried to set up with a direct TV remote but no go. I had a new remote overnighted from amazon prime. Got it the next day. Problem solved. I love amazon prime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.