Apple TV on vacation?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rustyosaurus, Oct 15, 2012.

1. rustyosaurus macrumors regular

I brought my Apple TV with me on vacation thinking I could watch movies and Netflix but its not working right. All I see is the screen saver but the remote app on my iPhone wont see it. I didn't bring my real remote.

Will this work or do I have to use it on my home network only?

2. pavelbure macrumors 6502a

I think they both have to be on the same wifi network.

3. rustyosaurus thread starter macrumors regular

4. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

The problem isn't accessing Netflix. Its because you need your iPhone and :apple:TV on the same wifi network so they can connect, which is pretty much impossible to do because you can't put the :apple:TV on wifi without the actual remote. The only way would be if you connected the :apple:TV to ethernet and the iPhone on that same wifi network that its on.

5. wilhub macrumors member

If your at a hotel you will probably not be able to get pass the hotel log in screen where you have to agree to abide by their policies. The last hotel I was at made you accept their policy through the ethernet cable.

I read in this forum that you can connect to a Macbook. Something about creating a wifi network from your Macbook. I guess you would plug your Macbook into the hotel's ethernet.

You might try the Apple 30-pin Digital AV Adapter on your iPad or iPhone. I use this with my iPad to watch movies that I purchased from iTunes.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD098ZM/A/apple-digital-av-adapter?fnode=3a

Good Luck

6. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Yeah but even if he/she made te network with the MacBook he/she wouldn't be able to connect to it on the :apple:TV because he/she doesn't have the original remote with him/her.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hold up...

Quick question...

How did you think the remote app on your iPhone connected with the AppleTV?

8. crazycanucks macrumors regular

The cloud... ;)

9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...

Ya know, not an altogether crazy assumption considering how much we've been told about the power of the cloud.

10. rustyosaurus thread starter macrumors regular

I think the only way to set up wifi is to use the actual remote. I tried to set up with a direct TV remote but no go. I had a new remote overnighted from amazon prime. Got it the next day. Problem solved. I love amazon prime.

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

LOL. U win the presidency Sir.