Apple TV OS X server 10.4.7...?!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ImprovJim, Apr 26, 2013.

1. ImprovJim macrumors newbie

Total noob here and need some really smart help I just got an Apple TV 160gb (nib) and want to install OS X server 10.4.7 I have seen a lot of info on similar operating systems running and wonder what it would take to get this to work I would prefer methods that preserve the current partitions so recovery to factory default would be painless and hopefully not have to open this device I am pretty much a novice when it comes to these things as it will be my first hack but am smart will take the time to learn will ask questions and can follow step by step instructions (I don't want to hear why are you doing this because it isn't worth the time just go buy this blah blah blah I see it in every post and it is just a waste of time now conversely if there are actual reasons such an install is impossible or that better functionality would come from a different OS X install I am open ears to those possibilities...?!)
    ImprovJim

2. ImprovJim thread starter macrumors newbie

Also if I wanted to use this as a time machine back up would I need to use OS X 10.5 or can this also be hacked in OS X server 10.4.7...?!

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

How can you possibly expect to install any version of OSx on an ATV? They do not even use the same chipset.

4. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

what?

Sorry dude, it will most certainly never work properly. I don't remember where but I saw a blog of someone who installed snow leopard on a 1st gen Appletv, at best it was an interesting project but that's it. You could achieve what you want with a used mac mini.

5. ImprovJim, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013

ImprovJim thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple TV 1st generation actually runs a watered down version of OS X 10.4.7 already I just want to maximize its full potential is all...?!

----------

Actually there are others already running 10.4.8 10.5.5 and 10.5.8 with mixed results some with almost every feature so I know that this isn't out of line and I already have a Mac mini running mountain lion that is not the point of this post...?!

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Apple TV 1G's can run from 10.4.8 to 10.5.8. But it is extremely slow and limited. The server version of Mac OS X requires even more ram than the desktop version. The Apple TV's 256MB is very tight on Tiger and even tighter on Leopard. Server OS X may be far too much for it to do anything more than show the desktop and run idle while frying an egg on the top of it.

7. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

Since you already have a mac mini, why would you want to do that then? Your mac mini will do a hell of a better job then a 1st gen :apple:TV ever will. I have a mac mini to do just that, iTunes server and time machine back up. My 1st gen :apple:TV is now collecting dust until I jailbreak it to see what I could do with it. Considering the performance that you could expect with a full OS installed on it, IMO you are going to have more fun during the set up than after while using it. If yo could some how improve the performance, the connectivity on that thing is awesome... A fully functional :apple:TV that can plugged into any tv and that can also serve media to other user, that I would like to see.

Whatever you do please post your results, many users will certainly want to see it, myself included.

Best of luck:)

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

And one more thing, you can't install clean stock OS X. You must edit a few extensions, add a few from the Apple TV OS and edit/compile a compatible kernel for it.

9. ImprovJim thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that it has the bare minimum requirements to pull it off but you may be right...?!

----------

It would be fun to get it up and running but maybe a lost cause...?! ;-(

----------

True and there are already prebuilt images of existing set ups that would be easier to implement maybe I'm going about this from the wrong place let's say we forget about the operating system with the time machine back up and break it down to the bare minimum of hosting a very small extremely low traffic website that would be used mainly for extended family could it be done...?!

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Use Tiger client version. There's no way you'll get Server to work on an Apple TV 1G without rebuilding it's kernel and manually installing it.