Apple TV Price

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by TheAnimal, Mar 27, 2015.

1. TheAnimal macrumors member

Anyone wonder why the Apple TV page says "starting" at $69? (http://store.apple.com/us/appletv) The word starting is used when there are different configurations available at a higher cost. What does everyone think? Oversight or a sign of things to come?

2. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

If you go to check out it will tell you the $69 is for the unit only, but not AppleCare which you can add.

3. applegeek01 macrumors 6502

An announcement for a new Apple TV this year has already been reported.

4. TheAnimal thread starter macrumors member

Ah, that makes sense, I guess.

----------

Really. Where?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. TheAnimal thread starter macrumors member

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did I say otherwise?

8. mic j macrumors 68030

They have been using the "starting at only" terminology for some time now, even when it was $99, and way before the rumor of new one being introduced at WWDC started. So in and of itself, it doesn't mean much.

9. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

No that is incorrect

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Think again. On March 9, the day of the Apple event, the website changed from this:
    Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 4.57.00 PM.PNG
    To this:
    Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 4.57.07 PM.PNG

11. mic j, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015

mic j macrumors 68030

I was referring to the starting at terminology, which some people think suggests there will be other models, possibly in the future that are higher priced. In both your attachments they use the "starting at" phrase. Only the the price changed. I wasn't referring to price but to "starting at"

If you go back in this forum I think you will find people spotting the "starting at" phrase and getting all excited by it...long before March 9th. My point, is that using that term has meant nothing in the past and therefore is not a confirmation of a new, higher priced model coming out in the future.

----------

You are right, that is incorrect. They did not state "only". My apologies for the misquote.

Edit:
    Here is a post from AppleInsiders from 10/14 (just before a iPad event) noting the "starting at" phrase and speculating it was indicative of a new model coming:

post #32 of 41 10/16/14 at 6:48am
    dubston
    Just saw this on the Apple TV promotion page on the Canadian site "Apple TV starting at $109" https://www.apple.com/ca/appletv/
    Seems like that means there's going to be a new one coming!

post #33 of 41 10/16/14 at 6:52am
    Rogifan
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dubston View Post

Just saw this on the Apple TV promotion page on the Canadian site "Apple TV starting at $109" https://www.apple.com/ca/appletv/
    Seems like that means there's going to be a new one coming!
    I don't follow. On the US site it says starting at $99, which is the current price of ATV.

12. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Yeah they were supposedly going to release the new model back then. I know the starting at is recent. I guess it could get delayed again but the starting at indicates another model.

13. mikesilv macrumors newbie

I wondered and got a little excited that this might mean another device was coming.

However, remember there are a lot of dumbstupids in this world. Premium content for the Apple TV costs extra. If Apple doesn't say "Starting at..." dumbstupids pound their chests and wail loudly, 'Ermahgerd, you said I get all of the content available fo' freeeee!' (Just like the "Free" button on the App Store becoming "Get".)