Apple TV problems on my windows 7

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by lectrcsprx, Apr 18, 2014.

1. lectrcsprx macrumors newbie

Every time I try and load movies onto my Apple TV my entire windows computer is locking up. I have a hard line run from my computers router to my apple TV. Its worked fine for years then all of a sudden in the last few months its been horrible. Anyone else having this problem too??? Are their any ways to fix this problem?? HELP!! :(

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

When you say your entire computer is locking up, do you mean the network connection is not working or the PC itself is freezing?

If the network connection is not working then your router is on its way out and the load is crashing it.

If the actual PC is locking up, then how are you transferring your movies? Are you using iTunes? Why not just sign in on the Apple TV with the same Apple ID and be able to use all purchased content.

3. lectrcsprx thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a Ethernet connection from router to AppleTV. Router works fine. I do transfer movies from iTunes. That's when the computer freezes and I have to hard reset the computer. It also happens when I transfer songs to an iTouch and my iPhone 5... I reset the backups in case they were corrupt but that's not it either...Its the iTunes software. Something they did in last update has made all this happen. I tested my computer for malware, viruses, and I defragged my system. All clean. So its definitely software related. :(

4. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Whats the specs of your pc and OS? Have been running itunes on my pc for 3 years with minor glitches. Found out you have to make sure both ATV and itunes have the latest updates. My atv wasn't and started having issues until i updated. Another thing too is once atv is updated, unplug it for 5 sec then plug it back in.

5. lectrcsprx thread starter macrumors newbie

Specs: Intel Core I7 - 3960X CPU@ 3.30Ghz 3.30Ghz 16.0 Gb RAM 64 bit Operating System
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    ATV First Gen. iPhone 5, iTouch 2nd gen. Apple iTunes 64 bit version 11.1.5.5

All my equipment has the latest firmware and updates applied to everything. I checked it twice and I did disconnect ATV a few times. I also re-installed iTunes twice to make sure it had everything correct. Im wondering if the problem lies within iTunes and AVG security...but even that doesn't explain why the operation of exporting a movie to ATV or exporting songs to my iPhone or iTouch begins fine... and then my computer locks up half way thru the export. :(

6. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

I would say the latest itunes screwed up your ATV. Being the 1st gen model, didn't think apple updated that one anymore. Might try finding an older version of itunes. Make sure to unhind hidden folders and find anything related to itunes and delete it. Apple doesn't like folks hanging on to older equipement and wants you to upgrade to newer equipement.