Apple TV quality drops out

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by macbroadcast, Apr 8, 2015.

1. macbroadcast macrumors member

Hello,

I just purchased the Apple TV and a VPN serves to access certain TV shows. All was working fine. However now, the quality seems to be dropping out and buffering, especially when I was using the ABC app. I am streaming in 1080p.

My internet is okay running at: 35.42mbps
    Router is 12m from TV.

any solutions
    thanks

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Presumably it's traffic to/from your VPN provider. Try another.

3. macbroadcast, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015

macbroadcast thread starter macrumors member

Well the provider said it should not slow down your internet speed or cause this to happen.

ABC seems to be the only app slow to use. HBO NOW is working fine.

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Which VPN are you using? If the goal is only circumventing geographic restrictions, smart DNS services tend to be better as they don't affect your internet speed.

5. macbroadcast thread starter macrumors member

Im using Unlocater as a trial to test out.

Which server should I use. Something like Unblock-US?

6. Primalsage macrumors member

Unblock is great. i've been using it for three years now. Absolutely no issues with speed on any of my devices even though I've set it up in my router.

I don't think it's your current service that's the issue. If it was, then your other streaming services should give you the same issues as ABC. I't more likely an issue with the ABC app.

I'm guessing it's using a subpar form of adaptive streaming which wrongly interprets the constantly changing bandwidth of a wifi signal as an unstable connection. You can test this if you connect the Apple TV via network cable directly to the router. If it solves the issue then this is definetely the cause.

7. macbroadcast thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for helping with all my questions on thie forum :)

The problem was acually the other server I was using (unlocater). Now that I swtiched to Unblock-Us, the ABC app works well now.

8. psarwal macrumors newbie

I have the similar problem on ABC, where the video quality on ABC is not good, while all other channels play well. I do not have a VPN and am directly on Uverse.

9. cynics macrumors G3

Make sure you leave feedback for the quality of unlocators service. These companies taught there services around like its the best while delivering subpar quality.