Apple TV Question - New User

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Nipnet, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Nipnet macrumors newbie

I am new to Apple TV (2nd Generation) and was wondering...if I am home sharing my music, movies and pictures, does my MacBook have to be on to access my account?

Reason I ask is that I set everything up yesterday and when my MacBook went into sleep mode my account disappeared under the Computer tab on Apple TV.

Would the Remote app turn on my account on my iPad if I do home sharing there as well?

Any information is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

2. so-marc-said macrumors newbie

so-marc-said

You would need to have the computer that the library is being shared from turned on while you want to access the content.

I share my library on my iMac, the computer will not sleep during playback on Apple TV

Marc

3. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

you can set the macbook to wake on network activity as long as the lid isnt closed and you have a router than is compatible

4. Nipnet thread starter macrumors newbie

The lid was open, but my macbook went into sleep mode and then I couldn't see my computer library anymore to change what I was listening too.

Where can I change the settings to keep it awake during network activity?

Thanks!!

5. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

6. darster Suspended

I wish it worked that easy. If i don't have iTunes open, ATV2 will not display that my iTunes account is available, even if my iMac is awake. I actually have to have iTunes running for the ATV2 to access my iTunes account. I also have library sharing turned on and to wake.

7. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Yes, computer awake and running iTunes and home sharing on to see any of your iTunes content. You should still be able to watch Netflix, YouTube, MLB etc..