Apple TV question re: Airplay

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by TitanTiger, Jan 30, 2014.

1. TitanTiger macrumors 6502

I'm looking to buy an Apple TV. I have a question about Airplay Mirroring. Are there any restrictions on this? What I'd like to use it most for is when I miss an episode of something. If for instance, the full episode is available to view on NBC.com...will it show up using Airplay Mirroring on my TV that's connected to ATV? Do I have any remote control over pause and playback or do I have to go do that on the Mac? Does it allow anything that's on your screen to be watched or do they DRM some stuff?

2. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Airplay mirroring will show whatever is on your screen on the ATV controlled by the computer. Not the most elegant solution, but it works. Quality depends a lot on your network. Ethernet best, wifi can vary. Airplay from iPhone or iPad app is better. Not all apps enable airplay though. Netflix, Hulu Plus and other channels on ATV itself are very good quality. Maybe your show is on Hulu Plus.

3. TitanTiger thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a Wireless N router in the next room over. I think the internal network would give a good picture.

4. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

5. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

works OK for me with my new mac mini and apple tv. Any videos that I'm most likely not going to watch any more than once I just play through VLC on my mac mini while airplay mirroring to the apple tv connected to my HDTV. Video quality seems the same as videos I watch thru iTunes/Home Sharing on the Apple TV. My mac mini and apple tv are wireless, with a wireless N router. I'm not at my mac right now but I think I do have to pause/play from the mac while airplay mirroring.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Only if the remote can control the application on the Mac that you're using.

7. Networkline macrumors newbie

8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Still not possible.

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I would pass on the ATV if your primary intent is to mirror video content from a browser on your Mac.