Apple TV Question

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Wicked1, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I was looking at getting one only so I can buy movies on iTunes, then watch them on any TV in the house. One is it worth it, also can you RIP movies purchased on iTunes?

I have a Mini but it is only in my office so not connected to any TV that is why I am looking at the ATV route. Also can you change the internal hard drive easily, assuming it is a 2.5" laptop HDD

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Is the HDD inside ATV PATA or SATA? My only concern in buying one is that if I were to swap out the HDD it would be PATA. I can also hook up and external USB 1.0TB if I had to not an issue.

4. spice weasel macrumors 65816

It's PATA. But you can hack your ATV and install a SATA drive and/or use an external USB drive.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's P-ATA (IDE) as written in the guide I linked to.

6. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I just read that, seems like a lot of work to get a SATA drive or eSata drive working, so I think I will just use an external USB, besides this is just so I can buy movies from iTunes for $14.99 as opposed to buying them in the store for $20.00 and have a ton of DVD discs laying around, also with the ATV I can watch these movies anywhere I want really, so I think this works for me.