Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hook'Em2006

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Plano, TX
Has anyone notices how the Apple TV 2 will randomly turn itself on. I have been at work all day and know that i didn't leave it on last night, it automatically goes to sleep on its own. But I just got home and notices the LED light is on. I with to the proper TV input and the screen is black until I press a button on the remote. Does anyone else ATV exhibit this behavior. Its quit odd. It didn't start happening until recently. Or maybe I just didn't know it
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Both of mine do this all the time. They seem to detect something in the HDMI connection that wakes them up. I've learned to ignore it.

Hook'Em2006

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Plano, TX
I dont notice it so much on my second one. I was also thinking that it was sending information to apple. So I tried turning that off. I will see what that does and report back in a couple days.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Me too! Mine has done that since I got it last September at launch, at random times. It's annoying but I, too, have learned to ignore it. One thing that always causes it - without fail- is when I reboot my router. The light comes on but nothing's on the screen. :confused:

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
As someone stated earlier, it is HDMI chatter. The ATV unit does not actually seem to be fully on because no picture output is sent to the TV. Or maybe it is updating with your iTunes library, checking for firmware updates, etc.. The behavior is probably normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.