Apple TV Remote app pair multiple devices

EmPPgamer

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2014
Yah. Bit bizarre really. Can't figure in my case why it's ALWAYS the 6 that get's kicked off, not the 5s. Or why it can't now add 3 devices when it adds 2 OK. Or why the Pairable Devices NEVER populates.

Chaka Jon

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Palm Springs
Has anyone tried to pair more than one ATV Remote App (device) with ATV4?
When I pair a second (iPad) then go back to first (iPhone) it goes through pairing procedure again. Back and forth loop. TV OS 9.2.2

According to Apple support, multiple devices are supported: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/ht201664
"You can pair more than one Apple TV Remote app to an Apple TV".

I just ran into this problem today. Or just realized I did. Bought a new iPad Pro on a Black Friday (thank you Target for the $150 off!).

Anyway, updated everything, including yesterday's tvOS 10.1 update. The minute I pair one device, the other unpairs (iPhone 7 Plus). But I can swear I had my old iPad (4th gen) paired with ATV and I never had this issue.

I need to charge that iPad today and see if I remember correctly. I also may have not installed the newer Apple TV Remote app. I may have been using the original (iTUNES) remote app.

I'll check. Either way, you should be able to pair multiple devices.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Are we the only 3-4 people in the world to have this problem, or just the only ones who care? I mean it's been five months and it's only a hotfix away, so you'd think it would've been addressed by now, but the ATV Remote app seems to just sit there unattended like it was a legacy product. I guess Eddy Cue is too busy shopping for shiny shirts.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Hmmm...

I was out of town, and was anxious to try. I still can't pair iPhone (7+) and iPad (Pro) to 4th Gen Apple TV.
Initially it behaved just like before. I was like "AGAIN????? SERIOUSLY???? YOU #=%)(#€"")€(%!!!"

Then I tried removing all known Remote App devices from the ATV + removing all known ATVs from the Remote App... then I re-paired everything from scratch, and presto – I was able to pair two iPhones and two iPads. So it would appear that starting with a clean slate is the ticket.

Chaka Jon

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Palm Springs
IMG_2928.JPG
Initially it behaved just like before. I was like "AGAIN????? SERIOUSLY???? YOU #=%)(#€"")€(%!!!"

Then I tried removing all known Remote App devices from the ATV + removing all known ATVs from the Remote App... then I re-paired everything from scratch, and presto – I was able to pair two iPhones and two iPads. So it would appear that starting with a clean slate is the ticket.

And we have a winner!!! Finally.

I removed all remote app pairings from Apple TV, then deleted Apple TV Remote app from all my iOS devices.

Thanks for the heads up.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Oh no. It started again. Wants a new passcode every time I switch from iPhone to iPad as remote. Refuses to list more than one device under Remote app pairings. Deja vu all over again.

Is it gonna take them a year to fix it this time too? :mad:

Edit: This is specifically about the mini remote app in Control Center. Apple TV wants another passcode for that one. The passcode for the ‘normal’ app appears to stick for each device, it’s the Control Center one that now behaves like the regular app used to do in the beginning of this thread...

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaka Jon

Chaka Jon

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Palm Springs
Oh no. It started again. Wants a new passcode every time I switch from iPhone to iPad as remote. Refuses to list more than one device under Remote app pairings. Deja vu all over again.

Is it gonna take them a year to fix it this time too? :mad:

Edit: This is specifically about the mini remote app in Control Center. Apple TV wants another passcode for that one. The passcode for the ‘normal’ app appears to stick for each device, it’s the Control Center one that now behaves like the regular app used to do in the beginning of this thread...
Ha. I just noticed this too, but this time it seems to only be an issue when using the Apple TV app from control center. And not every time. Weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.