Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gman36

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
San Diego, CA
Like the title says! I was looking for the AMC app on the Apple TV to watch season 6 of the walking dead, but there isn't one yet. So I decided to AirPlay it off the AMC app from my iPad Mini 4. Surprise surprise, all the content played flawlessly while formatting correctly to my tv. Also, nice feature, the remote controls pause, play, fast forward.. Etc. just like if the app was running natively on the Apple TV.

RB1959

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2015
I use airplay a lot. Picture quality is great on my Samsung 65" and I find it easier controling it with my iPad or phone on my lap, plus I can skip between countries via the iPad VPN app in seconds. Browsing through Netflix, iPlayer, NOW TV etc is a lot faster on the iPad than via the ATV apps I find, although Siri does a good job of finding shows on Netflix if I know what I want to watch.

Last edited:

besler3035

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Like the title says! I was looking for the AMC app on the Apple TV to watch season 6 of the walking dead, but there isn't one yet. So I decided to AirPlay it off the AMC app from my iPad Mini 4. Surprise surprise, all the content played flawlessly while formatting correctly to my tv. Also, nice feature, the remote controls pause, play, fast forward.. Etc. just like if the app was running natively on the Apple TV.
Glad you were so lucky with the AMC app. I tried Airplaying past episodes of TWD and had nothing but trouble. The app would stop and completely freeze, the video would start over, etc. AMC has always been behind with their iOS apps...and clearly they're behind on Apple TV support too!

gman36

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2015
San Diego, CA
Glad you were so lucky with the AMC app. I tried Airplaying past episodes of TWD and had nothing but trouble. The app would stop and completely freeze, the video would start over, etc. AMC has always been behind with their iOS apps...and clearly they're behind on Apple TV support too!
Interesting, I'm surprised yours didn't work. The app didn't seem to bad, but the amount of ads I had to sit through where overwhelming.

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
...all the content played flawlessly while formatting correctly to my tv. Also, nice feature, the remote controls pause, play, fast forward.. Etc. just like if the app was running natively on the Apple TV.
Yes -- apps with native AirPlay support work well. Amazon Instant Video is the best with the newly added X-Ray functionality providing a 2nd screen user experience. While the media plays on my TV via AirPlay, my iPhone 6S Plus screen shows what scene I'm viewing along with IMDB and other info for that scene. I can tap items and explore info about what I'm watching. If this were taking place within a native ATV app, that info would cover the media being watched, with AirPlay it doesn't.

Reactions: APlotdevice

besler3035

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Interesting, I'm surprised yours didn't work. The app didn't seem to bad, but the amount of ads I had to sit through where overwhelming.
Yeah, the ads kept screwing it up for me. Literally every ad break the video would completely pause and not start up again, or start from the beginning. Super annoying. Might just have to stream it from my Mac moving forward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.