Apple TV remote for TV volume?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by virginblue4, Nov 3, 2015.

1. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I'd like to use the Siri remote to be able to change the volume on my TV, is this possible?

I've tried using the learn remote option, but that seem to be for allowing my TV remote to control my Apple TV, which works fine.

I've plugged my Apple TV into a friends TV which is 10 years old and it controls the volume perfectly, but doesn't work on my 2 year old TV ... Any advice?

2. jeek macrumors member

3. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

You may have to enable HDMI-CEC on your TV, which goes by a lot of different names depending on the manufacturer (EasyLink, VIERA Link, EZ-Sync, E-link, SimpLink, NetCommand, RIHD, HDAVI Control, RuncoLink, Anynet+, Aquos Link, BRAVIA Sync, Reza Link, etc.).

This will allow the AppleTV to control power, volume and input settings on your tv (which will be really nice if/when they update the remote app to work with the new AppleTV, since it means you can use your iPhone/iPad/Apple Watch to turn on your tv and control volume).

4. timmahh macrumors newbie

There are two components here; one option lets another device learn ATV commands, while the other lets your Siri remote learn volume commands. I went the first route and realized it wasn't what I wanted, but can control my receiver volume just fine via IR with the Siri remote now. Make sure you're looking at the right option.

5. virginblue4, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015

virginblue4 thread starter macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I have sorted the volume out. How can I turn the TV on and off?

6. timmahh macrumors newbie

Well if HDMI CEC is on then I imagine you want to set it to Auto, as opposed to trying to utilize IR.

7. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

You will have to use the TV remote to turn it on and off.

8. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8