Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidoloan

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
Could I use the new remotes ability to read and learn IR codes to open a car park barrier.

I have to hold up a magnetic card (like a credit card i presume) to a keypad and the barrier opens.

Would it be possible read the codes from the card and then get an Apple TV remote to learn the code and then open the barrier.

The keypad is very badly situated and cars have to complete a dramatic swing to get access to it. The concrete is covered in all colours of paint from car doors. I haven't done it yet but its only a matter of time.

EJ8

Suspended
Oct 13, 2010
Don't think that will work. You should fasten your card at the end of a collapsing selfie stick.

Reactions: E.Lizardo

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Could I use the new remotes ability to read and learn IR codes to open a car park barrier.

I have to hold up a magnetic card (like a credit card i presume) to a keypad and the barrier opens.

Would it be possible read the codes from the card and then get an Apple TV remote to learn the code and then open the barrier.

The keypad is very badly situated and cars have to complete a dramatic swing to get access to it. The concrete is covered in all colours of paint from car doors. I haven't done it yet but its only a matter of time.
Sounds like you have an nfc card. Apple remote won't do that.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region

The NFC you are describing. However expecting a TV remote to do that is crazy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.