Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Clever idea, but man is it awful. So touchy.!!! Forget leaving it in the bed and having to hunt for it. You'll flip to four different channels. Is there an alternative?

PinballMagician

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2016
The old remote works. The app works. You can also adjust the sensitivity of the touch pad.

Here's a link to use 3rd party remote with ATV 4.
https://www.***************/how-to-control-apple-tv-using-third-party-remote/

Reactions: Gix1k

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I'll adjust the sensitivity. It's far too touchy!

flashcube

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2016
I have two Apple TV4's and find that the remote works ok in a bright light room and love the fast response and sensitivity, but in a dark home theater room, reaching for it and bumping it, can occasionally cause an unwanted feature to happen. I found that you can program any older push button remote that has the basic up/down/left/right arrows and center select, plus any side lower left "back" button to control the Apple TV4 very nicely for easier dark room feel. This eliminates any accidental command totally, while you DO lose a little speed in the swiping commands on the original.

Go to General, Settings, Remote, then select, Learn Remote.

Since the Apple TV uses RF, and most of the old remotes use IR, you are on two separate technologies, and they do not interfere with each other.

It takes less than 2 mins to do it.

Go here for a detailed step by step explanation on the programming:

http://www.macworld.com/article/301...se-any-remote-control-with-your-apple-tv.html

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Clever idea, but man is it awful. So touchy.!!! Forget leaving it in the bed and having to hunt for it. You'll flip to four different channels. Is there an alternative?

It is touchy! For something less touchy and larger, use the iOS ATV Remote App. I have it on both my iPad Mini and iPod Touch, and it is more intuitive and less fussy. I switch back and forth between these and the ATV Remote depending on what I'm trying to accomplish.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Sometimes it's too touchy, and other times not touchy enough. Takes some getting used to. Sometimes I can't get it to go left or right, while other times the same gesture makes it go a dozen screens too far.

Reactions: George Dawes

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
if your TV supports it you can use the TV remote to control it also via HDMI-CEC, without having to teach the ATV the remote.
it should just work, if you're viewing the aTV on the TV.

clarkgoble

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2003
if your TV supports it you can use the TV remote to control it also via HDMI-CEC, without having to teach the ATV the remote.
it should just work, if you're viewing the aTV on the TV.

The iOS app is very nice too and works well 95% of the time. The only place you absolutely need the remote is unfortunately during setup. I'd reset my AppleTV after forgetting the password when I restricted settings from the kids. Unfortunately I'd lost the remote which meant I had to go spend $70 to get a new one! Almost half the price of the Apple TV!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.