Apple TV rubber pad

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by LeoFio, Feb 7, 2009.

1. LeoFio macrumors regular

Has anyone experimented with running the Apple TV with the rubber pad off?

Under the pad, there is a piece of metal with many holes in it, so I was wondering if the unit would run cooler with the pad off, or should I leave the pad on if it actually helps with heat dispersion?

2. dynaflash macrumors 68020

After my eSata mod, I left the rubber pad off and just put four felt furniture leg pads on it of the 3/4" variety to elevate it a bit and give it the same no scratch bottom (they are about 3/16" thick). Is is cooler ? I am not sure, however imo more airflow is not a bad thing ( I am sure it isn't running *hotter*). I got the pads for about $0.79 US at Home Depot. Not even sure where i put the rubber pad now that I think about it.

3. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

can you pm me a pic of that? i realy wanna see that

4. LeoFio thread starter macrumors regular

I think it definitely made a difference. I took off the rubber pad, peeled away the yellow tape to free all the holes, and attached 1/8" rubber feet to the bottom. The unit still runs on the warm side, but it's no longer capable of frying eggs.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

:confused: My ATV runs HOT! I mean, egg-frying hot, as you point out.
    Why would they have something on the ATV that hinders airflow? Maybe I should take the pad off mine and elevate it slightly.

6. Rich1963 macrumors 6502

Dynaflash - Did you check under the bathroom sink? Just a thought. (inside joke, folks):p