Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoffeeMonkey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2003
I just got rid of my 1st generation AppleTV, and replaced it with the "streaming only" version. I have it connected to my iTunes library and can stream the content, but it isn't showing up under "Devices".

Has anyone run in to this before?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
And you won't see it--doesn't show up in iTunes as the first gen did because there is no syncing. Just turn on Home Sharing on both your computer and the new :apple: TV and you're all set.

CoffeeMonkey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2003
Thanks for the reply. That makes sense.

But I cannot figure out how to manage the new Apple TV. For example, tv shows that have been watched disappear, and I don't want that to happen. Also, I'd like to limit what movies (or movie genres) are available to the tv in the kids' room.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Thanks for the reply. That makes sense.

But I cannot figure out how to manage the new Apple TV. For example, tv shows that have been watched disappear, and I don't want that to happen. Also, I'd like to limit what movies (or movie genres) are available to the tv in the kids' room.

You must have a setting in iTunes set wrong, or on the appleTV you are on the "unwatched" tab on the ATV.

You can set parental controls in iTunes to require a password for the level on rating you want. On the ATV our kids use you need a password to watch R rated material.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.