Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
You left out the part where you get to keep that version of whatever show it is forever. Never have to worry about wether someone comes along and is suddenly offended by something that was made 60, 70 years ago. A writer coming along decades later and deciding he/she wants to edit the story you came to love. Or a service deciding a show is no longer “worth“ putting on a digital service and removes it.

Case in point, Rocky III... in the new releases they're removing the robot scenes (which are indeed quite silly) for no reason whatsoever other than they don't look good anymore. I own a bluray boxset that no one can edit. It's not even about social justice or being offensive...

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
Case in point, Rocky III... in the new releases they're removing the robot scenes (which are indeed quite silly) for no reason whatsoever other than they don't look good anymore. I own a bluray boxset that no one can edit. It's not even about social justice or being offensive...
Eh try watching the original tape of Star Wars trilogy and then watch the "updated version".

Sure the story is the same, but nothing compares to the original, might be less crispy, less polished, but that's the beauty!

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Eh try watching the original tape of Star Wars trilogy and then watch the "updated version".

Sure the story is the same, but nothing compares to the original, might be less crispy, less polished, but that's the beauty!
well, the various Star Wars revisions are at the edge of psychopathy! It's like every other year there is a new new new new new release ?

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
Physical media for me is reserved for the greats — Breaking Bad, M*A*S*H, Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, The Wire, Deadwood, Turn, Seinfeld, etc. If I’m going to invest in art, might as well buy ones that are truly unique. Worse — and this is terrible to think in America — some acquisitions need to be made before the modern-day book burners get their hands on them.

JediStarWars

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2015
Really enjoyed Defending Jacob. Chris Evans did an awesome job acting in and producing the show. HOWEVER, the ending of the show was different to the book (won't give any spoilers...) and I think they got the ending wrong in the TV show. Other than the ending it was really well done.

I think Apple have missed a trick here however...

Inside every DVD/Blu-ray release, they should put a coupon for a free month of Apple TV+.

Reactions: DEXTERITY

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2004
Each to their own, but I suffered through this, and have to say it was dreadful. The writing was poor and the plotting made little sense. Save yourself, by not watching it.
it is hardly dreadful. it was a great show. Tehran was great as well

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
Gross. I can't imagine having to physically handle something just to watch it. It's not 1984 anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: Huck

SDArch

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
Each to their own, but I suffered through this, and have to say it was dreadful. The writing was poor and the plotting made little sense. Save yourself, by not watching it.
I couldn't even finish it. BAD

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
For me, that spot was taken by Tehran. And I still think The Morning Show and Ted Lasso were much much better than this. It was a great concept, I'll hand it that.
Tehran is brilliant imho, The Morning Show depicts a serious problem in an entertaining way, Ted Lasso is like getting high on antidepressants, and Defending Jacob was hardly as fun or thrilling as the three others. It had high production values, a great cast, but the story was not very believable and protracted.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
it was really good,well made,good acting,good story,not too long..
I recommended it to few others and everyone liked it too.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
Exactly! Forgot about that one. While agree they are silly now, and probably even then, that WAS a part of the released movie. Glad I have the blue rays and the Apple version. (They were like $5 for the entire collection up through Creed.)

Exactly what I was thinking when I wrote that. Han shot first.

Gross. I can't imagine having to physically handle something just to watch it. It's not 1984 anymore.
Issue number one, wash your hands and you won’t have that problem. ?

Issue number two, oh yes we are! ?

warpdrive

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
I would buy physical media for things that I will watch over and over again, which isn't much these days. What annoys me about streaming is sometimes I want to watch a movie or show, but it disappears from the service. So annoying.

Before I could go rent it at the video store and the physical copy is still there even years later. So for the keeper movies and shows, physical media still rules. Also nothing rivals the quality of Bluray UHD, so for the collectable movies, it's still the ultimate experience to watch Bluray 4K on a top end TV like OLED.

But I would not buy this show. It was ok, and felt well done.....the performances were good, but not sure I liked the story all that much after all is said and done.

Reactions: Moyapilot

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
What does "Paramount-backed" mean? Paramount's logo is on the DVD, not Apple's.

It seems to me that if Apple paid for exclusivity, it's still a Paramount series that is now widely available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.