Apple TV+ Series 'Servant' and 'Truth Be Told' Previewed During Emmy Awards

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple peppered ad breaks during last night's Emmy Awards with new mini trailers promoting original programming coming soon to its video streaming service, set to launch on November 1. The 15-second clips, which have also appeared on the Apple TV+ YouTube Channel, include sneak peeks at shows that will be exclusive to Apple+.

The first is for true-crime thriller Truth Be Told starring Octavia Spencer and Aaron Paul. According to Screen Times, Spencer plays a podcaster who reopens her investigation into a murder. With doubts and new evidence coming to light after her original evidence leads to a conviction, she is forced to reevaluate her investigation which made her a media sensation.

Two other ads are for Servant, a 10-episode psychological thriller created and written by Tony Basgallop, who will also executive produce alongside M. Night Shyamalan.

The series follows a Philadelphia couple "in mourning after an unspeakable tragedy creates a rift in their marriage and opens the door for a mysterious force to enter their home."

Both shows won't be immediately available to watch at the launch of Apple TV+, but are expected to come in the weeks following.

Apple aired the new spots along with other clips for post apocalyptic drama See starring Jason Momoa, period drama Dickinson starring Hailee Steinfeld as poet Emily Dickinson, alternative history drama For All Mankind, The Morning Show starring Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Aniston, and Steve Carell, and kids' show Snoopy in Space.

Apple TV+ launches in 150 countries on November 1 and will cost $4.99 per month. Customers who purchase a new iPhone, iPad, Mac, iPod Touch or Apple TV hardware will also get free access to the service for one year.

Article Link: Apple TV+ Series 'Servant' and 'Truth Be Told' Previewed During Emmy Awards

ipponrg

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2008
Those trailers are ominous enough to peak my curiosity.
It feels that each of these trailers have the same feel in production i.e. trying hard to be vague and ominous. For me, it’s not working, but I look forward to seeing what people that aren’t Apple fanboys have to say about it when it comes out

wigby

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2007
It feels that each of these trailers have the same feel in production i.e. trying hard to be vague and ominous. For me, it’s not working, but I look forward to seeing what people that aren’t Apple fanboys have to say about it when it comes out
These are teasers which is why they are vague. Trailers are completely different and generally not vague at all. I think many audiences have grown tired of lengthy trailers that reveal all characters and plot points so short teasers can be more effective at least up until the release date. After spoilers and bloggers emerge publicly, all bets are off.

As far as "Apple fanboys" go, I really don't think they will play much of a role or even voice their opinions. The first batch of releases will incite the usual streaming/tech company wars but once Apple TV+ hits its stride about 6 months from now, we will see fanboys for the show runners, their shows, stars and directors more than for Apple itself. All consumers have their streaming preferences but I've never seen any personally attack others for those preferences. This is mostly because it's all subjective unlike the number of megapixels in the latest iPhone's camera sensor for example.

Reactions: Ar40

FaasNat

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
Home
They do look good! These 2 weren’t even on my radar...
Unrelated (and I hate to be “that guy”), but the phrase is “piqued my curiosity”, btw.
You never know, maybe his curiosity peaked after those trailers...

Anyways, given from what I've read about Apple toning down the content, I'll wait for initial reviews before I'm going to peek at these shows.

Justanotherfanboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2018
You never know, maybe his curiosity peaked after those trailers...

Anyways, given from what I've read about Apple toning down the content, I'll wait for initial reviews before I'm going to peek at these shows.
Yeah... it’s crazy: television has gotten so much more high quality in the last half-decade; it’s so easy to find shows that are on par with high budget hollywood cinema, that Apple has their work cut out for them insofar as me paying for another service.
That being said- they’ve got the entirety of a year to convince me, as my new iPhone 11 will get me their “1st year free” deal.
Lol, I guess I’ll reserve judgment... the true test will come when my free year is up.