Apple TV set up and monthly data cap?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by BasicGreatGuy, Dec 1, 2016.

1. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I recently connected my Apple TV to my home network using the ethernet cable. I plan on streaming my iTunes library (local files on an external drive connected to the AirPort Extreme) to the Apple TV. I have Comcast for internet and they imposed a 1TB monthly data cap. Will this set up count against my monthly data cap since I am using the ethernet connection?

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Is your ethernet connection getting internet from a non-Comcast source?

3. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

you are just using WIFI to send movies locally to your AppleTV?
    that should NOT count against it.

Now, if you stream from iCloud/Hulu/Netflix/etc...that will count against the data cap.
    they do have a monthly checker you can access daily

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Data coming from the internet via Comcast will count.

Data going from one device in your house to another device in your house will not count - assuming it is going via YOUR network and not out to the internet and back again.

Sorry, but I am really missing the question here.

Does not matter if you use ethernet cable or your HOME wifi. It is either coming down the comcast pipe, or it is not.

5. BasicGreatGuy thread starter Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The files on the external hard drive going to the Apple TV are files I loaded onto the hard drive. I am not planning on downloading (at least not regularly) purchases from iTunes which I know that would count towards the data cap. As far as I am aware, the Apple TV streaming will not go out to the internet and back to the house.

Thanks for answering the question.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 1, 2016 ---
    Using ethernet (or wifi) to send movies locally to my AppleTV.

Thanks for replying.

6. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Nothing to worry about. Comcast counts what comes through their pipe.

If you are ever in doubt, unplug your Comcast cable broadband cable into your router. If you can get some video playing, it's definitely not using Comcast broadband. Generally, files inside your home should be moving around your internal network (whether Comcast is connected or not). However, any files that have to go somewhere outside of your home or come into your home from somewhere outside (like iCloud, iTunes rentals, Youtube, Netflix, Vudu etc) are flowing through Comcast's pipe. The latter will count against the cap, the former won't.

7. bigcahuna12c macrumors member

bigcahuna12c

Absolutely not. Anything done on your local network will not count against your data cap. Whether it be by wifi or ethernet connection.