Apple TV setup question

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by sopo1333, Feb 16, 2009.

1. sopo1333 macrumors newbie

I just got an Apple TV and I do not have a wireless network. Do I need to have a wireless network to be able to do any of the functions such as renting movies? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Just plug an ethernet cable into the back of the ATV from your network. This shuts off the wireless in the ATV as well.

Be sure to go into Settings, Network (or something like that) and make sure that your ATV has been granted and accepted an IP via DCHP.

FWIW, it's a lot faster than wireless.

3. sopo1333 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have one more question. Can I plug the ethernet wire from the Apple TV directly to the ethernet port on my computer and have it share my internet connection or is that impossible?

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

It's more complicated that way and creates an unnecessary bottleneck. Just get a cheap dumb switch and serve up addresses from your modem/router.

5. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

That or you could create an ad-hoc wireless network using your ethernet on your mac as the "wireless router." Then hook up the wireless on your AppleTV. That should do it, and not cost you a penny more.

6. mastershakess macrumors 6502

Just get a wireless router :) No wires throughout the house and its so convenient!

7. sopo1333 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if it work if I have a wireless network usb adapter?