Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has renewed "Little America," a series created by Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V. Gordon, for a second season, according to Variety.

"Little America," described as an immigrant anthology series, has not yet launched and is set to debut on January 17, 2020, so Apple is renewing it before it debuts.

zacharyquintolittleamerica-800x450.jpg

Nanjiani and Gordon are best known for "The Big Sick," and the new series is based on true stories pulled from Epic Magazine. Zachary Quinto, known for "Star Trek," will star in the fourth episode, and other cast members will include Jearnest Corchado, John Ortiz, Angela Lin, Kai To, Sophia Xu, Shaun Toub, Shila Vosough Ommi, Eshan Inamdar, Priyanka Bose, and Conphidance.

Each episode will be a half hour in length, and there will be eight episodes in the first season. Variety has a rundown of each episode that's coming:
The Manager - At 12 years old, Kabir must learn to run a Utah motel on his own when his parents are deported back to India.

The Jaguar - Marisol, an undocumented teenager from Mexico, navigates the rarefied world of competitive squash with the help of her coach who inspires her to dream big -- on and off the court.

The Cowboy - Iwegbuna, an economic grad student from a small village in Nigeria, struggles to adjust to life in Oklahoma ,but he gains confidence and a connection to home by becoming a part of a culture he admired most as a child: cowboys.

The Silence - Sylviane's ten-day silent meditation retreat takes an unexpected turn when she develops feelings for a man with whom she's shared everything but words.

The Son - When Rafiq escapes from his home in Syria after his father discovers he is gay, he's forced to go on the run until he finds his "home" in the unlikeliest of places.

The Baker - Beatrice, the only one of her 22 siblings to be sent from Uganda to college in the US, tries to achieve her own version of the American Dream by selling her chocolate chip cookies from a basket on her head.

The Grand Prize Expo Winners - A Singaporean single mother wins an all-inclusive Alaskan cruise-- allowing her and her two children to experience a taste of the good life on an emotionally cathartic trip.

The Rock - Faraz will stop at nothing to build a home for his Iranian family, including attempting to remove a massive rock from an otherwise perfect piece of real estate in Yonkers.
Lee Eisenberg, known for his work on "The Office," is writing and executive producing the show alongside Nanjiani and Gordon. "Master of None" co-creator Alan Yang is also an executive producer.

Article Link: Apple TV+ Show 'Little America' Renewed for Second Season Ahead of January Debut

Last edited:

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
Can't wait for a new series! January 17 can't come soon enough - I like how Apple is experimenting with different rollouts for the various shows. They should do weekly releases for conventional cliffhanger'esque dramas and full releases for comedies, etc., IMO. I wonder if another new series will launch alongside it in January.

Last edited by a moderator:

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I'm glad to hear they're renewing a show for another season that nobody has ever seen
Lots of channels and streaming services do it. They're far from the first. Amazon renewed the upcoming wheel of time series and they've barely begun filming season 1. They also renewed the lord of the rings series and I don't think they've even started filming season 1. Netflix renewed the witcher already.

Last edited:

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
I really don't get "renewing" something before it is even out. I guess if it were left up to us we'd just ask for a faster TV show.

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
I'll watch any show Alan Yang(Not Andrew Yang, Macrumors editor) is a part of.
[automerge]1576191071[/automerge]

Some people see "stories about immigrants" and immediately balk at the concept, forgetting that pretty much every single person in the US has an immigrant story.

Last edited by a moderator:

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Some people see "stories about immigrants" and immediately balk at the concept, forgetting that pretty much every single person in the US has an immigrant story.

The stories of real immigrants are nothing like the dramatized version on TV. Is there a show where people go consult with an immigration lawyer, fill out immigration forms, wait a long time, get fingerprinted and interviewed at the embassy, then get on a plane and show up? That's the immigration story of the vast majority of people who come to the US.

It's sad when people can't tell the difference between fictional TV shows, which are trying to get you to think a certain way, and real life.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
The stories of real immigrants are nothing like the dramatized version on TV. Is there a show where people go consult with an immigration lawyer, fill out immigration forms, wait a long time, get fingerprinted and interviewed at the embassy, then get on a plane and show up? That's the immigration story of the majority of people who come to the US.

It's sad when people can't tell the difference between fictional TV shows, which are trying to get you to think a certain way, and real life.
You forgot wait as long as a decade in some cases. In some cases even longer.
Have you seen the show before coming up with an opinion? Though i'm sure they'll skip over all that as it would be boring and instead focus on life here. Based on a true story doesn't mean you need every single little detail. You can only cover so much in 30 minutes and one has to focus on the meat of the story.

Reactions: PickUrPoison

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019
The stories of real immigrants are nothing like the dramatized version on TV. Is there a show where people go consult with an immigration lawyer, fill out immigration forms, wait a long time, get fingerprinted and interviewed at the embassy, then get on a plane and show up? That's the immigration story of the vast majority of people who come to the US.

What a load of BS. Immigrant stories are so much more varied than paperwork. What an ignorant comment.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
What a load of BS. Immigrant stories are so much more varied than paperwork. What an ignorant comment.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I work with immigrants all the time. Their "stories" are all the details of visa types and INS procedures and how organization A can waive the return-home requirement on a J-1 and how person B managed to get an EB-1 instead of an EB-2.

The facts are the majority of US immigrants start with a visa for a school or job.

The stuff you see here is all fake Hollywood propaganda.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Sorry to burst your bubble but I work with immigrants all the time. Their "stories" are all the details of visa types and INS procedures and how organization A can waive the return-home requirement on a J-1 and how person B managed to get an EB-1 instead of an EB-2.

So people don’t have lives and stories after all the paperwork?

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
So people don’t have lives and stories after all the paperwork?

How many people have stories that we'd care about? My co-worker went back to his home country for two weeks because there was an airfare sale. He also went to Disney World and complained about the cost, lines and weather. Another one wanted to go see a national park and got a flat tire. That's an exciting immigrant story?

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
How many people have stories that we'd care about. My co-worker went back to his home country for two weeks because there was an airfare sale. Another one wanted to go see a national park and got a flat tire. That's an exciting immigrant story?

All sorts of people have stories. I work with people, immigrants, who have stories.
You haven’t seen the show or read about the real life people who it portrays. You have no idea at all what it’s about. Essentially you’re saying I know a guy who doesn’t have a story therefore no one has a story. That’s pure ignorance.

Last edited:

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
All sorts of people have stories. I work with people, immigrants, who have stories.
You haven’t seen the show or read about the real life people who it portrays. You have no idea at all what it’s about. Essentially you’re saying I know a guy who doesn’t have a story therefore no one has a story. That’s pure ignorance.

It's completely ignorant to believe that a TV show will portray anything close to the lives of real average immigrants. Unfortunately, people think that as long as there's no outlandish violence or sci-fi, TV drama is real. It never is.

• Love
Reactions: Ar40 and Brandhouse

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Lots of channels and streaming services do it. They're far from the first. Amazon renewed the upcoming wheel of time series and they've barely begun filming season 1. They also renewed the lord of the rings series and I don't think they've even started filming season 1. Netflix renewed the witcher already.

I like how you compared these Apple shows to LOTR, Witcher, and Wheel of Time.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Listing early renewals. Not comparing shows. There are many more examples as well. Those are just recents.

One of the big reasons they “renew” is it’s part of the negotiations. They actually sign the two (or more) season terms ahead, but media outlets including Macrumors like to make it sound like it’s newsworthy for filler.

For example, there are rumors that Jennifer Aniston would not sign on for a conditional one year rental of Morning Show.

I am all for immigrant stories, but if you read about how the Big Sick happened, it was Hollywood-ified to make it alluring for audiences. I feel these will also go through the same transformations.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
One of the big reasons they “renew” is it’s part of the negotiations. They actually sign the two (or more) season terms ahead, but media outlets including Macrumors like to make it sound like it’s newsworthy
I wasn’t commenting on the reasons. Only that it happens. The reasons are irrelevant.
Sites report on renewals as the studios announce them. Nothing more.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I am all for immigrant stories, but if you read about how the Big Sick happened, it was Hollywood-ified to make it alluring for audiences. I feel these will also go through the same transformations.
Of course. It will get some sort of treatment I’m sure. At this point we don’t know how much.
Based on a story doesn’t mean that exact word for word story.

Ar40

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2017
I like how you compared these Apple shows to LOTR, Witcher, and Wheel of Time.
I DO TOO!! How about that.

Yes, Apple's shows are the best things on TV right now and are likely at least as good as all three of the above listed shows (as yet unknown since they are all yet to be released).

Reactions: archer75

Herrpod

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2019

The facts are the majority of US immigrants start with a visa for a school or job.

Again, absolute nonsense. Immigrants have stories of getting here. They have stories about hardships back home that forced them to leave. They're more than the paperwork required to become a citizen. Again, your assertions on this matter are utter garbage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.