Apple TV showing wrong LIVE Channel

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by CBos, Feb 9, 2016.

1. CBos macrumors newbie

I live outside of Chicago, and just made the switch from AT&T Uverse to Comcast for internet. Our family is trying to ditch cable and just use the Apple TV for our television viewing.
    The problem I am having is when I go into any app (ABC, Disney, ESPN) and view the LIVE programming the "On Now" shows what is live in my area but when I select it, it gives me a West Coast feed. For example the ABC app show on the Live programing list what is currently on here in Chicagoland, but when I try to view it, it shows me ABC7 from Santa Clara, CA.

Yesterday I talked with Apple, they said its a Comcast issue. I talked with Comcast, they say it's a hardware issue. I talk with the Hardware people, they say its a Comcast issue...round and round I go.

When I did have AT&T I never had this issue, so I'm guessing it's either a Comcast or hardware issue. I have the same issue on both of my Apple TVs, which also leads me to believe that it's not an issue with the Apple TV.

I have checked the location settings on both Apple TVs. I have done factory default restores on both Apple TVs. I have done the factory default restores on the modem and the router. Nothing worked.

Any help you could give would be great.

Modem: Motorola/ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
    Router: NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900, Model# R6900

2. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

There's your first clue.

There's your second clue.

BINGO!

Contact Comcast and this time tell them that you need to talk with a manager or someone higher up on the food chain. The people at Comcast that you're talking to simply don't know how to solve your problem, so they "pass the buck" and say it's a hardware issue. Someone at Comcast must know how to solve this issue, and you just need to be persistent and find them.

3. CBos thread starter macrumors newbie

6 hours with them last night...lead to nothing. I talked to a manager, of supervisor, of a supervisor. They tried to tell me the issue was because they were having line problems last night. Even though I've had the problem for days. And since there is an issue with their Comcast TV service, I was having an issue with my Apple TV. They had NO CLUE how an Apple TV worked. The final solution was to send someone to the house who would CHARGE ME for coming out!!! No thank you!

4. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

This is very strange. Interesting that it shows the menu the correct show but plays the wrong one. I was thinking at first it was a timezone problem in your ATV Setup but with that it makes no sense. I am on FIOS and I use my FIOS Credentials which is setup in my Account Setting On Line. Have you tried logging in to Comcast Web Site and see if there is anything related to your Account? Just guessing.
    Also, you say you want to drop cable and just use the ATV. But if you drop cable you would not be able to use those Apps because of your credentials (unless sharing).

5. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

I'm assuming you're paying them a monthly fee. However you are NOT getting what you pay for.

I would contact the Better Business Bureau and submit formal complaint. Document everything. You'll be surprised at how fast they will contact you and offer a solution. You just need to yell in the right ear, and the Better Business Bureau will help you do that (for free no less).

https://www.bbb.org

6. CBos thread starter macrumors newbie

Sharing is caring!

7. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

:)

8. CBos thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE: Replaced the router with an AirPort Extreme, thinking there may be an issue in the router...nope. Still the same problem. Off to try and get a hold of someone at Comcast that actually knows what an Apple TV is and how it works...

9. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Your not using a VPN are you. Routing thru a different location. What is also confusing is the WatchABC is not really a Comcast App.

10. CBos thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope

11. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

I think the watchabc app gets the information on what channel to provide by your cable company though.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

As d21mike pointed out, WatchABC is not a Comcast app. I assume that the OP wants to watch more than one live TV channel. If this is the case, then he should test the live TV apps for several different TV channels. He should also stream live TV from his computer. If the problem is a Comcast ISP issue, then streaming to the TV will display the same issues as the TV.

13. CBos thread starter macrumors newbie

The issue is only with with Apple TV while on my home Comcast network. The same issue happens on both my Apple TVs. The issue happens on every app that has a "watch Live" option (ESPN, Disney, Disney Jr...).
    I use this same ID to sign into the same WacthABC app on my iPad and have no issue. Use this same ID to sign in on the same Apple TV on different network (like at my office) and everything works fine. Use this same ID to sign in on the same Apple TV on the AT&T network (when I had it) at my house, no problem. Now with the new Comcast network...problem. I have replaced the modem, no change. I have replaced the router, no change. I have the same issue on both of my Apple TVs only while at my house on my new Comast network. But NO ONE I talk with at Comcast seems to have clue what an Apple TV is or how they opperate. I've spent hours talk with Apple, but it's not a hardware issue. There is an issue with the signal that is being sent to my house, but no one has any clue what this isuse would be or how to do anything about it.

14. besler3035 macrumors 6502a

Is the time zone on your Apple TV set correctly?

15. CBos thread starter macrumors newbie

16. jnurthen macrumors newbie

17. starkreality70 macrumors newbie

I could have sworn I had this problem too, but that I changed the time zone setting on my apple tv and Disney Channel went back to showing the right live feed for my time zone.

Maybe there's a setting within the Disney App as well that let's you choose your time zone?

18. CBos thread starter macrumors newbie

There is not ability in any of the apps themselves to change the time zone. When I changed the time zone under the General/Settings menu, the only thing that changes is the "On Now" and "Up Next" program list for those channels. When I select to watch the Live feed, no matter what time zone I have in my settings, it sends me to the same ABC7 in Santa Clara.

19. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

You need to make sure your IP address is mapping to the proper location and that your Apple TV has location services turned on.

20. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Just use an antenna for OTA networks. and cancel cable. Besides. nothing on ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX or CW is worth tuning in for anyway.