Apple TV shuts down immediately after turning on after latest tvOS uodate

wvphysics

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
The other day I tried to turn on my Apple TV 4K and it kept shutting off. It finally turned on and I noticed some subtle differences, including an icon for the new arcade app. Now anytime it turns off I have to try and turn it on 5 or 6 times before it’ll finally stay on. Anyone else having this issue?

musicman0725

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
The other day I tried to turn on my Apple TV 4K and it kept shutting off. It finally turned on and I noticed some subtle differences, including an icon for the new arcade app. Now anytime it turns off I have to try and turn it on 5 or 6 times before it’ll finally stay on. Anyone else having this issue?
Sounds like an issue with HDMI-CEC. I’ve found I can resolve these types of issues with my various devices by pulling the plug on my TV. In this case you might try pulling the plug on ATV and if that doesn’t work pull the plug on your TV. You can always disable HDMI-CEC on the Apple TV assuming you aren’t using any universal remotes that rely upon (such as the remote that comes with newer Samsung 8 series sets).

Marshall73

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2015
Had the same issue with mine. Rebooting etc made no difference. I have to switch to a different source to stop it turning the TV off, then switch back again.

FarmerBob

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2004
They've made all kinds of changes, the Apple Way and not always for the better, and have been known for the On/Off thing in previous version. Looks like it's worse now. My TV reverts to the last input if there's nothing there. Well the light on the ATV is on, but obviously there is no output signal, since my TV reverts to the last input. I found a long time ago turning the ATV 4K on is not easy and putting it to sleep is a ballet. Now that button functions have been changed slightly that only makes things harder. OF WHICH if Apples mantra, "Although we think it's cool, it may not work for the better".