apple tv - slingbox

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by fastgraham, Mar 10, 2008.

1. fastgraham macrumors member

I just got apple tv 160gb. I replaced my airport express with it. I used to be able to use the airport express to link my slingbox wirelessly to my network by setting up the express wirelessly, then hooking the slingbox into the express with an ethernet cable.

Now, when I connect my apple tv to my wireless network all is good. However, when i then connect the slingbox to the ethernet port on the apple tv, the apple tv thinks that I am using the ethernet port as my internet point, which is not the case.

Is there a way to either instruct or trick the apple tv to connect to my network wirelessly , while letting me hook the slingbox into the ethernet port?

2. OlBlueHair macrumors regular

I don't think so. Sounds like you need a router to plug the slingbox into or if possible plug your atv directly into your comp via ethernet (not what you want to do, I know).

3. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    I've never used a SlingBox, so forgive me if this is off-the-wall, but I always though SlingBoxes worked by taking your video/audio inputs and then broadcasting them over the internet.

In other words, plug your :apple:tv output into the SlingBox and then the SlingBox into your router, not your :apple:tv. The SlingBox needs the internet, not an ethernet connection to your video source.

4. pjac macrumors regular

Yep - and for that internet connection, he's trying to use the AppleTV as a wireless router, something which it doesn't seem to support :(

5. fastgraham thread starter macrumors member

that's right

You are right, this is what I am trying to do. Slingbox does not have wireless built in. Airport express let me use the ethernet port to connect the SB to my home network but Apple TV does not.

Oh well, someday perhaps.

6. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    right. that's because the :apple:tv is a network appliance and the AEx is a router.